3. Koningsdam
We felt we made the right decision booking on Holland's newest ship. The food, service and ship were excellent. Our waiter (Gede Ysadhi and his assistant Adi Mahardika) provided enjoyable dinners serving our table for 8. The food was hot and when we let them know we were trying to attend a show they managed to provide full service by the time we needed to leave. Best lobster tail I've had on a ship and the Prime Rib was so tender. Not once during the 7 days were our orders not correct. We usually sail Oceania so we are somewhat spoiled, but the service, ship and food on the Koningsdam were excellent. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants since we wanted to spend as much time with our traveling family. One member of our family required Kosher Food and as on many ships this food was more like TV dinners and not enjoyable. The Lido Buffet had fresh food with many choices for lunch. Loved they way the salad was served. Also, many staff around to bring drinks, clear table etc. We never had a problem getting a table in Lido. Breakfast everyday in the dining room was wonderful. The Deli and Pizza by the pool was okay as well as the Dutch cafe. We appreciated having additional choices for dining. We loved music walk. We watched many shows and could see several in a day. All had performers that were very talented. The Blues Club was so much fun and so easy to attend and enjoy the wonderful music. Lincoln Stage had inspiring concerts and the world stage is very high tech. Hollands Singers and Dancers were wonderful. I didn't enjoy the specialty acts in the world stage as much. Most shows are presented 3 different times during the evening for 45 minutes so it made it easy to see as many as desired. The weather was not good. Turks and Calico port was cancelled. We didn't mind since this gave us an extra day to enjoy the ship and also a full day in San Juan rather than arriving at 1:00. We have sailed many cruises over 25 and I think this was the worst prolonged high waves we've had. Some on the ship were seasick but I think the stabilizers on the ship worked well. Harvest Cay is fabulous. You will never find a better beach. Chairs are free and plentiful. The Barbecue on the island that Holland provides at no charge is so much better than the one Royal Caribbean provides. I can't wait to book another cruise that includes this stop. We did the ports on our own. Ship had a wonderful itinerary and we enjoyed Megan's Bay in St Thomas and taking a cab to the Marriott hotel in San Juan to enjoy Tapas at a local restaurant and exploring the hotels and casinos nearby. To take a cab across to Condado beach area cost around $15 each way. We did hear some people say that this was the worst ship they had every been on. Our group could not understand their comments as I cannot understand some negative reviews that we saw before sailing. I think there is no satisfying some people no matter how good the experience is. Cabins are very well done. Lots of storage space with small bathrooms. Shower head was difficult to direct in the proper direction and we did have a problem with our toilet throughout the cruise even though Holland tried to fix twice as soon as we called. After the last repair it would flush after a few minute delay. The casino on the ship was good. Decent payout with the latest slots. We didn't experience smoke but we played mostly during the day. Getting on and off the ship was well organized and we experienced no problems checking in and disembarking. I can't wait to sail this ship again.

Loved it. Koningsdam is a fabulous ship!

Koningsdam Cruise Review by Lorna Doone

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Oceanview Stateroom

Lorna Doone’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Large Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin D 11002
We did have problems with the toilet throughout the cruise. Holland tried to fix twice but it still worked on and off.
Sun Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins