Viking Hlin Cruise Review

Viking a huge disappointment! Never again! Not worth the $$$.

Viking Hlin Cruise Review by Vicogirl

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

We chose the Rhine River cruise to celebrate our 25 th anniversary after spending the previous 2 months in Italy. 4 days prior to departure I received an email stating the ship had a broken propellor and that we would be bused to Breisach the day 2 port in Germany and not from our departure port of Basel, Switzerland. We were told to report to the Basel airport to meet the buses. Thus we missed the Basel tour and cruising upriver into Germany which is what we paid for and not a bus ride. Despite it being a Viking problem this matter was never brought up again and no compensation not even a free drink was offered as an apology.

The following morning breakfast was a buffet fiasco with the wait line out the door. I felt as if I was on a Canaveral cruise. To make matters worse the wait staff really didnt smile except for perhaps one or two.

On our 3 rd night when we returned to our suite 316 I checked the bedsheets and to my shock I could see blood stains and urine on the mattress cover showing through my sheet! I went to reception and the person there told me housekeeping was asleep. My response was " I'm not"! She came to our suite and she was appalled by what she saw! She did wake up the housekeeping manager but they didnt have clean linen! They put blankets as a mattress pad. The following morning the room cleaning girl apologized saying she didnt see it , but you had to be blind not to see the numerous blood and urine stains on both sides of the mattress pad. They gave us the drink package as an apology but we dont really drink.

The remainder of the cruise was just ok. Too much time on buses, not enough in the towns . The food on the cruise was ok (6 on a scale of 1 to 10 ) not great so we started eating upstairs in the Aquavit Terrace as our waiter Sandor was friendly and fantastic in comparison to the wait staff in the dining room that really didnt smile! One evening I asked Tony the head of Dining for one of the dishes from upstairs and he told me to get it myself!

I will say that Arturo our concierge was great. He was always willing to help and service with a smile. He indeed was a pleasure to interact with.

The day we were to depart the ship the steward that came to get our bags was drinking a cup of coffee that he spilled on our luggage! Totally unprofessional!

I'm so disappointed with Viking! Best thing on the cruise were the new friendships we made !

Vicogirl's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Suite
Cabin AA 316

The Suite was small but pretty nice except for BLOOD and URINE stained mattress cover showing through bottom sheet! Disgusting and a health hazard! Bathroom was great .

Bedroom closet could use shelves in it over the drawer unit in there.

Notre Dame Cathedral

No comment

View All 95 Notre Dame Cathedral Reviews
City Tour

Guide was fair! . As it was Madi Gras type of atmosphere in Cologne that day , he wasn't able to concentrate and speak with all the partying going on and he wanted to partake in the festivities. We told him we had enough of the rain and cold and told him to go!

View All 125 City Tour Reviews
Cologne Cathedral

Cathedral closed due to MadiGras atmosphere and fear of church damage.

View All 184 Cologne Cathedral Reviews
Basel

We were bused to Breisach as ship propellar was broken 5 days prior!

Extremely interesting even for a woman!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Cologne Old Town

Too cold, crowded to walk around. All shops closed due to festivities!

View All 52 Cologne Old Town Reviews