• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2009
Cabin:

For about half our honeymoon, we booked the 7-day Star Flyer cruise through the Society Islands. I hesitate to say "cruise" because I am not a big fan of cruises (this was the largest boat we've travelled on, usually we do Diving liveaboards or the like). So take this feedback from the standpoint of a "cruise hater" if you will.

The boat itself is extremely nice. Again, I have not travelled on massive cruise ships but compared to "real" boats I've sailed on, this was extremely nice, large, and well maintained. It makes a good first impression when getting on-board.

The cabin we got was also quite spacious, compared to what we'd expect on a smaller liveaboard boat. It was smaller than a typical "Motel" room on land, but still felt plenty spacious for the amount of time we spent there. We got a "Category 2" which seemed to be a sweet-spot for price/value. Most rooms seem the same basic size, but the location varies. I would recommend to anyone going on-board to avoid Categories below 3, they are (from reports from others) generally too noisy or otherwise compromised. Cat 2 are on the "main" room deck. Category 1 are larger and on the top deck, but are a bit in "high traffic" areas and didn't seem worth the price bump.

Good cabin on upper deck.  A bit larger due to curvature of the boat.  Close to exit stairs and convenient to dining room (same deck).  Overall a good choice!

previous reviewnext review