3. Disney Fantasy
Let’s get the gang back together! My wife and I and our two boys re-upped for another Disney cruise in the Eastern Caribbean for another vacation with our close friends and their two boys. Last August we tested the waters on a 3-night cruise on the Disney Dream, and we had such a good time we went back a year later for a 7-night cruise on the Disney Fantasy. I was a little concerned that because we enjoyed the last cruise so much, nothing this cruise could offer would do justice to my inflated expectations. Fortunately, I was wrong. I found that 7 days gave me a better opportunity to experience and evaluate the ship, food, service, shows, etc. and I even revised my opinion on certain things that I’d nit-picked during our initial 3-day cruise. This was a phenomenal vacation, aboard a magnificent ship, with ample time to enjoy my family and friends while we took advantage of everything the ship and the ports of call had to offer. We decided to park at the port this year, and although it cost more money than it would to use one of the park-and-ride packages at the local hotels, I was happy with our decision and would use this going forward if we return for another cruise. Disney takes care of everything so efficiently and easily that it relieves (most) of the stress of dealing with tons of luggage and excited children the morning of embarkation. We arrived at the port and went thru one security checkpoint before being directed to a waiting porter who took our bags. We parked and walked the short distance to the cruise terminal, went thru security, and waited less than 5 minutes for a Disney agent to check us in. Within 30 minutes of parking the car our group was called to board the ship. Although there’s a ton of activities, I love the decor and artwork so much on the Disney ships that it’s fun and relaxing to simply walk around and take in everything. We were much more purposeful about doing that on this trip. Disney’s “Midship Detective Agency” was a hit with our kids - Mickey and friends led us on one mystery tour of the ship to interact with 10-12 pieces of the “enchanted art” onboard, and Kermit and the rest of the Muppets led us on the other. This is a great example of the technology Disney employs on their ships - what appear to be static paintings in the stairway areas become dynamic clues that help your child solve the mystery; it’s also a great excuse to see the vast majority of the ship and read about the paintings spread throughout the decks and stairwells. All 4 boys on our trip made ample use of the deck 11 pools, Mickey’s waterslide, the AquaLab water play area behind the back funnel, and of course Donald’s AquaDuck. During our stop in Falmouth, when we decided to stay on and take advantage of less people on the ship, we spent some time playing mini-golf, foosball, and basketball on Goofy’s Sports Deck. The Oceaneer Lab/Club on deck 5 is one of the key selling points of any Disney cruise. It provides an incredibly safe, fun, technology- and activity-filled area for the kids to relax and enjoy time away from their parents (occasionally, parents even enjoy the break from the kids). My kids loved the club, and even over the course of 7 days they didn’t get bored by it and were always excited to hang out with their friends for a few hours when we elected to drop them off. Among the bars available on the ship, our group liked the laid-back feel of O’Gills Pub, but our favorite by far was the Skyline bar. The 8-10 panels that cover the wall behind the bar show a “live” view of a major metropolitan skyline. The drinks are inspired by the skylines that rotate thru the panel display every 15-20 minutes. The dining experience was one of the highlights of the entire week. We ate several buffet-style meals (breakfast and lunch) at Cabana’s and loved them - the variety of food offered is unbelievable, and the vast majority of the food is extremely high quality. One morning I was standing at the fruit bar and I realized that I couldn’t find blueberries among the 8-10 other fruits that were being freshly cut by the Disney chef behind the counter. He noticed my hesitation and asked what I needed; I felt sheepish for asking, given that there was so much else available, but when I mentioned what my son wanted he immediately took care of it and they got me a bowl of fresh blueberries. We ate dinner together each night as a group of 8, and those 2 hours were sometimes the best times of the day. The quality of the food and the service was excellent, and you can request pretty much whatever you want - extra appetizers, two desserts, even a dessert from another restaurant if what you want isn’t on the menu that night. The service staff stays with you all week, so you get to know them fairly well, and our head/assistant waitress were fantastic. Because you dine at each of the 3 sit-down restaurants at least twice during a 7-day cruise, I expected to see the same menu; I was stunned when we returned to our first restaurant mid-week and an entirely new menu was offered. Overall, the dining on this cruise was incredible.

2nd Disney cruise lived up to high expectations.

Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by seannnr

Ages 7 to 9
Get Disney Fantasy price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 05C 7654
Our stateroom was identical to what we had on our last cruise - a deluxe family oceanview with verandah. We loved the verandah and made good use of it in the mornings and in the evenings after the kids went to bed. I also liked having it because it just made the cabin feel bigger, and for a 7-night cruise that’s essential. The Disney staterooms are well-designed to make use of all available space. The main bath/shower/sink area is very good size, and the separation of the toilet in its own area with a second sink is extremely useful and helpful to a family of 4. The bed is raised just enough that we were able to store all 6 suitcases/bags under it, and there were plenty of cabinets and drawers for our clothes and other essentials. The main sitting area with couch and bench converts into bunk beds, with the top bunk pulling down from the wall; the stateroom attendant would pull it down while we were at dinner, and put it away when we left for breakfast, and this really helped maximize the living space. We were very happy with and comfortable in our stateroom.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Castaway Cay
    We've done two Disney cruises, two visits to Castaway Cay, and two 5K races. It's a great opportunity to do something active and healthy on vacation, and it gets us on the island with our kids early. The race itself is not very pretty - it's along a blacktop road and then into a big circular route that doesn't give any views of the rest of the island - but it's well-organized. I would do it again if we go back.
    View All 13,797 Castaway Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Castaway Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    The place was beautiful, they had a very nice water park with pools for the adults and play areas and water slides for the kids. The beach was nice, and you could borrow life jackets and swim 75-100 feet out to a huge obstacle course on 20-25 connected inflatables. Extremely fun for the adults and kids to do together. All-inclusive lunch - not great food, but good enough - and drinks. We had a very good time and were glad we booked this excursion.
  • Grand Cayman (Georgetown)
    We had 8 people in our party and the open-air Jeep had 8 seats, so it was perfect. Our driver took us all over the western part of the island and we stopped at a couple of tourist spots - Hell, the Rum Cake Factory, and the turtle museum. It was relaxing and interesting for the adults to drive around while our driver (also our tour guide) talked about living on the island, etc. The 4 children were a bit bored, but the tour was only 2 1/2 hours so they had enough to keep them occupied at the turtle museum to make it worthwhile.
    View All 13,797 Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Review
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    Getting to the port from the hotels in Port Canaveral is easy, and parking at the port is simple and straightforward. Disney's terminal is a short walk from the parking garage, and they make the check-in process very easy and efficient.
    View All 2,182 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews