3. Viking Baldur
My husband chose this cruise as a gift to me. I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations on the boat. He had booked a stateroom with a separate sitting room. I was able to sleep in, while he could get up and not disturb me by closing the door between rooms. The included tours were very good. The guides were informative and pleasant. We did purchase two additional tours during the cruise. My husband went on the Nuremberg War Trials Tour, which he said was well worth the money. We both went on the Dutch Cheese Making Tour. That tour was great especially when we were able to taste any cheese they had in stock. The prices we paid for cheese we bought was quite a bit cheaper than the "tourist" stores in downtown Amsterdam. Entertainment was very good from the lounge piano player to the entertainers that came in and visited for the night. I especially enjoyed the glass blower that came to the boat. The crew was exemplary (on both ships). Our cruise was supposed to be 2 weeks on the same boat. Due to high water in the rivers, the ships did not have enough clearance to go under certain bridges. So halfway through the cruise, we had to change ships and ended up on the Viking Magni. We changed boats with the same cruise we were on, but we coming from Amsterdam to Budapest. Viking handled the change seamlessly, and made the change as pleasant as possible. We were able to ut our luggage outside our room, and the next time we saw it was when it was in our new room..Since we were changing boats, Viking had our program director Marek and concierge Vanessa make the change with us. This really helped the passengers since we already had a good relationship with the two of them. The new crew was excellent, and were welcoming and friendly making the change over much easier. I was not really interested in eating in the dining room, so I was pleased the boat had the Aquavit Buffet. It gave you a quite pleasant place to enjoy a meal. You could not order what was being served in the restaurant, but you could eat what special they were serving that night or have an option from a small menu served in the buffet. It wasn't until later in the cruise when more people began to come to the buffet for dinner. I would guess at the most we had 15 people eating in the buffet with us. The staff assigned to serve us in the buffet were exemplary in their service. They were very friendly accommodating and provided us with great service! I also enjoyed the self service coffee bar and pastry that was provided. It was really nice to be able to get a cup of hot chocolate on your own. The staff kept the area clean and tidy, and well stocked. My husband and I are talking about taking a Western Mediterranean ocean cruise with Viking, then another river cruise, possibly the Tulip Cruise.

Grand European Tour

t_mclean@juno.com’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Baldur price drops

Veranda Suite
Cabin AA 312
The cabin was clean, pleasant and I enjoyed the fact that I could sleep in and my husband could go into the other room and close the door. The cabin steward was good and kept our room stocked and neat.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins