3. Oosterdam
I had actually never heard of HAL before my sister suggested this cruise to us. We decided to give it a shot, we brought 2 of our kids (ages 6 & 9 at the time). I found the kids program to keep off hours, which was inconvenient to us. Whenever we found an activity that we were interested in, it seemed that the kids club closed during part (or all of it). I take this with a grain of salt because most people know that HAL is geared more towards the 50+crowd. The on-board entertainment wasn't great, again geared toward older crowd. The dining was awesome-my kids still remember our server Ketut 5 years later! I liked that we dined in the same table every night and had the same server. Dining was a little on the formal side, definitely would not show up in shorts and a T-shirt. We did our own excursion in Puerto Vallarta with Aquaventuras Park with the little water park and dolphin "adventure" which the kids enjoyed. For the price, it was a pretty decent cruise.

Young people with kids on a cruise for older folks

Oosterdam Cruise Review by grlpwrd

• Sail Date: April 2011
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Signature Superior Verandah Suite

For the price, it was a pretty decent cruise.
grlpwrd’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 8047
Beautiful cabin with large balcony that had a table and chairs. Divider on balcony was able to be unlocked and opened to have our cabin balcony join up with my sister's room next door (#8043) which was handy. Plenty of room for 2 adults with 2 kids when pull-out sofa utilized. Large bathroom with tub was a nice bonus for bathing the children.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins