Wind Surf Cruise Review

Wind Surf Cruise Review by ladyprof14

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Italy
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

Even though everything didn't go perfectly on this cruise, the staff on Wind Surf did everything in their power to make it memorable and special. There's just a feeling on Windstar cruises--the crew seem genuinely happy to be there, the views are so gorgeous, the other passengers so pleasant. There's no fighting over deck chairs, no scrambling to get the best seats, no worry you'll get reservations to the restaurant of your choice. There's a feeling like, "Relax. Chill. There's enough of everything and they have it all planned out." From the time I arrived at the airport at Venice and a Windstar agent was waiting to take us to our hotel, I just feel relaxed and taken care of.

The food on t his cruise was even better than the food on Windstar, the last ship on this line I cruised, and that's really saying something! There was more variety, I think, more food from local markets featured in all three meals. I honestly couldn't have imagined fresher, more appealing meals than all of those that were offered--I can't think of one that wasn't really delicious. In the city where I live, I can't get food anywhere this good! Yes, the entertainment isn't great (although I liked the duo Splash). But really, the entertainment is in the vistas all around you and the conversations with other passengers. We didn't get to have our signature event, which was supposed to be a cocktail party with folk dancing in Dubrovnik. The lead dancer died that day, so you couldn't fault Windstar for that. And they brought in some folk singers on to the ship instead (not the same, though; I didn't care for them much).

Our deck barbeque had to be moved indoors because of weather, but it was delicious and brilliant all the same--they work so hard on this! And we missed one of our ports, Capri, one of the ones I was most looking forward to, because it wasn't safe to tender (seas were too rough). The usual captain of Wind Surf was on vacation, and the substitute captain had an emergency, so the first officer became captain for his first time ever. Even with all of this, though, there was such sincere desire to please the passengers and make their vacations memorable that I think the crew cared more about the things we missed than we did. The ports of call were great, the available tours were outstanding, our cabin was comfortable and so well taken care of during our voyage (thanks, Azhar!) that it was just overall a really great vacation. Windstar, you've spoiled me!

ladyprof14's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin BX 235

Comfortable and excellent maintained by Azhar, our great stewart! Terrific water pressure in the shower.

Boat tour

You really need to see Venice by boat. Fascinating to see the funeral boats, ambulance boats, etc. The front door of buildings is only visible from water.

View All 49 Boat tour Reviews

Gondola Ride

Get one with music!

View All 94 Gondola Ride Reviews
St. Mark's Square

Loved loved loved St. Mark's Square, just sitting at a café having tea and watching the pigeons and people, listening to the bells

View All 47 St. Mark's Square Reviews