Wind Surf Cruise Review by Lgorellana58
- Sail Date: May 2016
- Destination: Mediterranean
- Cabin Type: Suite
1) the WINDSTAR sales office is aloof and does not return calls or answer questions to our satisfaction. I had previously used Vacations to Go and I will go back to them in the future rather than the WINDSTAR Sales office in Seattle. I think it is wise to compare the price of cruise cancellation insurance with both companies or go through AMEX for booking and insurance.
2) there is a mysterious $626 charge by WS on the Amex that NO ONE can explain, charged April 28 when we were in air transit
3) there is another $390 charge for something after the cruise charged by WS
4) upon landing and disembarking in Venice we had to walk approximately 1/2 mile to customs and immigration (this may have been the private transporters fault, so it would be very wise to check this) we are 70 and I am impaired and it was an unreasonable hike.
5) the Surf did not honor its own policy regarding smoking and we found it impossible to get away from. It was not possible to enjoy the deck by the pool as it was overwhelmed by cigarette and cigar smoke. To us this would have been a deal breaker had we known that windsurf would not enforce their own written policy. This changed after the first week when we and others filed written complaints.
6) the port stop in Sicily is dirty and we found no place to get away from cigarette smoke
7) although my sister is not afraid of spending lots of money, we found the tours offered by WS were outrageously expensive. We could engage a private car service at the pier for a reasonable fee. The one tour that we would have been willing to pay the outrageous fee was hogged by a corporate group who took most of the tours and managed to bounce private travelers off. Not cool, WINDSTAR.
1) on board, the staff is amazing: Abby at the Reception desk, talented Robert at the cappuccino machine who made our cappuccino with soy milk instead of milk), Jonas and Gonzalo at the tour desk, all the awesome chefs, the first mate Ailine (who actually sailed the ship), the cabin steward for rm 310 who has been on the WindSurf for 17 years, the laundry service, the spa (best pedicure ever), the guys on the launch who took very special care of me and my inability to balance, Allen the F&B director and his amazing wait staff who truly worked their tails off for us - all with a positive attitude and a smile every single time - even when we changed tables four times (not kidding), the singing hotel manager, the executive chef who let us tag along on his market trips and bought raspberries and honey for us, the executive sous chef who personally picked out my fish and made us a birthday cake (we are twins)
2) we recommend getting the optional laundry package ($110 for the week for the cabin), usually in by 9, back by 4, done up perfectly, IRONED!
3) do attend the crews talent show. We laughed until we cried
4) this not a cruise for children
5) we loved the private events, Villa Durazo in Porto Fino and the Gambino Winery in Sicily
6) stay out on deck for the sail away - it is majestic
7) this beautiful ship commands attention in the ports - even the locals photograph it! It is the only cruise ship that is permitted to traverse the grand basin in Venice. It is beyond special.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Flamenco ShowFun, great seTs, just the right amount of showView All 29 Flamenco Show Reviews
Gothic Quarter Walking TourActually, we found a tuk-tuk. What a hoot! Accidentally got in a parade, saw things we could never have found on foot.View All 24 Gothic Quarter Walking Tour Reviews
La Sagrada FamiliaGenius, overwhelming, awesomeView All 112 La Sagrada Familia Reviews
Montjuic/Olympic StadiumNo one would believe this, seriously.View All 10 Montjuic/Olympic Stadium Reviews
CannesEasy private car service at the port in a Mercedes SUV, less than half the cost of the WS excursion. Great service, personal. Had lunch at Le Columdor impossible reservations made possible by our driver.View All 488 Cannes Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Cannes Cruise Port Review
City TourHopped on the red line hop on - hop off bus, saw all the city, so beautiful.View All 17 City Tour Reviews
PortofinoNot to be missed!View All 79 Portofino Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Portofino Cruise Port Review