3. Celebrity Summit
This review is long overdue but I thought it was worth posting anyway, in case anyone is looking for a "June" point of view. We traveled mid June, and the weather was perfect. This was our very first cruise. We've been to many nice tropical island resorts but I did not know what to expect being on a ship. I get motion sickness so I was definitely very worried about that. That being said I wonder if being first-time cruisers on a Celebrity ship, perhaps we were not a bit spoiled for trying other cruise lines. The experience definitely exceeded my hopes. I now understand how people can be so loyal to a cruise line, particularly Celebrity. The embarkation process was a breeze. We arrived at the port on the later side, about 1:30 in the afternoon. There was practically no one else in the port waiting to go in so we had no wait at all. We were quickly checked in and before we knew it we were on board. Immediately stopped in the martini bar grab some drinks and proceeded on to explore the ship. Since it was close to the time for the Muster drill we didn't get very far. But after that we proceeded to our rooms which were ready. Our biggest disappointment by far was definitely the cabin size. (2029 & 2033) We got 2 Oceanview State rooms- 1 for my DH, myself and our 2 children and one for my parents and my 2 brothers. My brothers were a last-minute add-on to the trip- had I known they were coming I would've booked them a larger room. This room was shockingly small. It had the two bunks that came out from the ceiling which were okay for my 9 and 11-year-old but not okay for my two adult brothers. It was very small and I felt bad for my parents and my brothers. It was okay for us and the children but I don't know if I would ever book that room again. It is entirely too tight for 4 people. Thankfully we are all a scrappy bunch with very good dispositions. After the initial shock of it, we all laughed and made lots of jokes about it. We quickly got over it and decided to not spend much time in the room anyway. It worked out fine but again I must reiterate that those state rooms with the 2 bunkbeds are entirely too small for four people and all their stuff. Also our bathroom was really shabby. Not only was it's very small but it was very worn down and somewhat Rusty in the shower area especially. The closet and storage area however was very sufficient. The rest of the ship was very well-kept. We constantly saw staff cleaning and vacuuming and picking things up and generally keeping the ship in tiptop shape. We upgraded to premium drinking package which was a good thing for my husband and my brothers. I could have done without, but no matter it worked out perfectly. The crew was very friendly and very accommodating. We did buffet for breakfast and lunch and dined every evening in the MDR. I thought the food there was exceptional. They were extremely accommodating to my children and allowed everyone to order anything they wanted off of any menu I don't understand why everyone wouldn't dine in the main dining room every night It was a very pleasant experience We didn't make reservations ahead of time but still had no problem walking up and waiting never more than 10 minutes We also did the Normandie one night which was very good, but honestly was not that much better than the main dining room in my opinion. The dining selections were just a little more special and they offered French style service which is over-the-top nice. This staff and crew overall was very friendly and nice but no one learned our names and no staff or crew were particularly friendly to the point of being engaging which is fine with me. I don't need that type of bond between myself and the crew. Only saw the cruise director once at a show and maybe the muster. But everyone was very competent and did their jobs very well. The Thalsso therapy area was my favorite. It was so nice to have that covered area since it was rainy one day at sea. The warm bubbly pool was amazing. And the snacks there in the spa area are out of this world, Beautifully crafted and very tasty. Entertainment on the ship was just fine, but nothing spectacular. It seemed you had to get to every show an hour early to get a seat. I just didn't think it was worth giving up that time for that quality of show. Funniest thing was dancing with the stripes- don't miss that. I also thought there would be announcements about shows and activities going on but there were none. If you did not read your activity letter every morning you would have no idea that there was anything going on anywhere. Most activities that they did have were entirely too short. The biggest point of contention during the cruise was the pool area. It was nearly impossible to get a seat. Even when I did go early to reserve two seats a couple of older ladies had no problem just taking them away from us. No idea where my towels or water went. They were completely unapologetic about it. The adult pool was always crowded so sometimes adults would go into the kids pool. A couple of elderly people had the audacity to scold my children because they were playing and splashing - In the kids pool!!!!! Overall The most unpleasant part of the trip was in encountering so many unhappy people which I don't understand. We are on vacation- how can you be so disgruntled all the time? They would complain about everything from having to wait for hamburger to accusing you of trying to cut in line to pay for some crappy cruise sale crap. We mostly did the buffet for breakfast every day but one and for lunch. I found the food to be very high-quality and just had so much to offer. One day we did breakfast in the main dining room but didn't find it worth the time it took while we were waiting for them to prepare our food it was just as good at the buffet Only thing is that Morning time was tricky as all the tables were usually taken and we had to go on a serious hunt to seat eight people even when we broke off into 2 or 3 groups. The spa was nice but very small- however the services were top notch. The extra classes you pay for such as yoga we're not really worth the price. The gym was just OK nothing state-of-the-art. It was good enough to use elliptical or treadmill if you needed to. Our first day in Bermuda we took a ferry to Hamilton and then the bus ride to the Crystal caves. It took longer than expected and then there was a wait at the caves. The caves were very cool. We then took a bus into town for some lunch before headed to horseshoe beach. Of course we got to the beach very late but still enjoyed a couple of hours there. The second day we took a bus straight to horseshoe beach so as to enjoy the entire day. It was amazing- we had a marvelous time and were able to do some very nice snorkeling without an extra cost. That beach is everything everyone says it is definitely worth spending the day there. There is a concession there with minimal selections but doable for one day. Best part is the car service you can pay for that will get you & your stuff from the top of the road right down to the beach at a minimal cost. They stop running it around five so you'll have to leave the beach before then if you want them to take you back to the top. On the third day we stayed in the dockyard we did dolphin quest for the kids which was lackluster at best. We also did wave runners later which was a lot more fun. Embarking and disembarking the ship was always fast and easy. My 9 & 11 year old did not care for the kids club activities. No one from the program ever came around to invite them so they did not feel enticed to check it out. They were happy to hang with us entertain each other. Lastly, my elderly father has limited mobility and this ship size was very manageable for him. We reserved a wheel chair for him but he really never needed it. Overall, we had a wonderful trip. The food and drinks were top notch and we never felt pressured to buy or spend more. I look forward to cruising with Celebrity again.

I fell in love with Cruising...

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by jacquee4

Ages 10 to 12
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Ocean View 7
Cabin 07 2033
Great central location. Very small space for 4, better suited for 2. Bathroom was very shabby.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins