3. Carnival Sunshine
I would first like to say that I was excited and curious because of all the negative reviews of the Sunshine. We chose her specifically for the itinerary since our party of four had a combined wish to see Aruba and Grand Turk and for the Serenity decks ( always our favorite part of ships). We weren't disappointed. Even with the CDC delay at the port for embarkation ( which I was actually glad since the ship would be super clean) things went fairly well. So glad we opted for Faster to the Fun as we were first in line to finally get on and would not have wanted to be in that crazy line behind us. Prior to this, we used the Fly Snooze Cruise package from Comfort Suites in Cocoa Beach. All transportation was taken care of and our room was adequate(could use a little updating) plus free breakfast buffet and we were set. They were apprised of the delay at the port and modified transportation accordingly. Finally... ON THe SHIP! Our party had an inside Spa cabin and a balcony Spa cabin adjacent to each other on deck 12. Perfect location!! We were steps from all of the Serenity decks (3 in all!)and it was a surprisingly quiet floor when the door to the outside decks closed. Our cabins were 12021 and 12025 respectively. It turns out my hunch for 12021 was correct and it was a larger inside cabin with plenty of walkaround space on both sides of the bed and with a mini bar fridge much to the delight of my sister in law and her partner. Beautiful cabins...loved the décor and hues and the balcony for 12025 was quite large with a lounger, 2 chairs and a table. It was covered as well and the 4 of us spent many hilarious hours out there people and sea life watching. We also had the much maligned Your time dining which went off without a hitch. We checked into the system on Deck 5 near the Taste Bar and either got a pager or a seating immediately. It was just a short walk down the back stairs to the lovely Sunrise dining room. We had the new American Table menus and they were pretty decent. I missed having the complementary lobster on elegant nights but the Feast menu was pretty delicious as well. I made up for the lobster in shrimp extras lol. While I prefer having table cloths all of the time, the table settings were still very nice. Food was excellent and service impeccable. We also enjoyed the Lido Buffets, room.service breakfast ( though we sorely missed the smoked salmon selection) and the other offerings. We really liked sitting in the Havana bar for our casual meals as it was cool and uncrowded and they played great Latin music. Also, there were little Cuban tapas on offer at breakfast and lunch which were delicious! The Mongolian wok at lunchtime was fantastic but we never did try the Italian pasta buffet. I received a complimentary birthday dinner at either Jijis or the Cucina and we chose JiJis. It was served family style and it was delicious... Plenty of food for the 4 of us and we are big eaters! Truly authentic Asian specialties...best Kung Pao I have ever had. We also tried Guys burgers occasionally and the Iguana cantina tacos and burritos. All delicious! The Guinness float in the Shake place is not to be missed! The only annoying thing was the people trying to get out of washing their hands! Employees were stationed at food entry areas to make sure handwashing was happening and it was in everyone's best interest to use the auto washers and the waterless rub but there are always those that have to buck the system. It would serve them right to get ill but the 4 of stayed perfectly healthy. I was glad of the safe measures taken on board (condiments were given out by a crew member and not handled by guests, etc). The ship itself was configured a little differently than we were accustomed but it made it more interesting to find the hideaway places like the Limelight lounge, etc. The Liquid Lounge was smaller than other ships theaters and for some reason caused me and my brother in law to nod off every time we went in there. We preferred the previous format of shows that were done in the Vegas style with dancers rather than the multiple.mediocre singers and lacking sets, maybe that is why we couldn't stay awake in there! Bed hoarding and reserving continued to be a.problem but the crew initiated the timer system toward the end of the cruise. We noticed people on deck before light placing items on chairs and then not arriving until 9 or 10 am. That could use more policing but it puts the crew in a bad position and it shouldn't have to be that way. We were very lucky with weather and sea conditions throughout the cruise and we loved all of the ports and are anxious to return to them for a second or third look. Beautiful sea conditions for our sail and snorkel in Aruba, visibility was fantastic and I actually free dived and.touched the wreck of the Antilla. Curacao was stunning with its architecture and we welcomed the rain shower in the afternoon after a day of walking and sightseeing. Grand Turk was pristine and we had a.wonderful day at Jack's Shack playing with Topher. The water was crystal clear turquoise and the Turk's Head beer went down a little too easily. We enjoyed our trek to the Conch graveyard and stayed away from the crowds at Margaritaville. I celebrated my 50 th birthday on the last seaday and it was my best birthday ever! Although we prefer the smaller ships with more outdoor space and decks, we will gladly return to the Sunshine as she has a lot to offer and is unique in her layout. People of course with their habits remain the downside to any cruise and the casino was horribly smoky but all in all she is a great ship and we had a wonderful cruise. Two in our party were first timers and.loved every minute of it...this was my seventh and DH's sixth so we had pretty good comparisons. Her decor is understated compared to others and that can be good or bad depending on your preference. The Serenity bar could stay open longer in the evening as we noticed it was really happening about the time it was closing and it was.close to the hot tub! It closed between 430 and 5 and the one evening it was supposed to be open late it was too windy for the top deck. If you are sitting the fence trying to decide to sail on her, giver her a go, you may be pleasantly surprised! We certainly were!

Best Birthday Ever!