3. MSC Divina
This was our fifth cruise, first with MSC, all the rest on RCC. In contrast to the Def Leopard concert that was on before our cruise, we were on a KLOVE (Christian Music) cruise and the whole ship was there for that purpose. NEGATIVES: Where this line seemed to lack was their organization for moving large groups of people around throughout the ship. Lack of communication to the passengers. They seemed to be working on a skeleton crew. Long lines to wait in for food/service which seemed to be the norm. Food in buffet was ok and our Dining Room staff, although they did a great job, the food was boring, no eye appeal or taste. We eat gluten free, so there was a lack of choice at dinner. Just chocolate ice cream and sometimes another dry cake-like dessert. The buffet seemed have better choice for gluten free, but we were guessing on some of it. Really, with all that said, my biggest BIGGEST gripe was that they must have decided that the Perfumery shop wasn't getting enough foot traffic, so they moved a large table of perfumes out in the open centrum. By day three, the whole ship, except for the pool deck and the Villa Rosa smelled like PERFUME!!!! It was obnoxious!!! I watched the staff person spray three full sprays on a sample card and waft it dry. I could imagine the carpet was permeated and anyone walking through was getting their daily dose plus of it. I'm not even chemically sensitive, but it was the worse practice I've seen anywhere. I couldn't wait to get off the ship. We could even smell it in our 13th deck cabin. The Pantheon Theater was saturated with it and that was where the concerts were held. Beware! The Editors review was nice, but the whole ship is dark. Gray, silver tones throughout and dark cabin doors really made the ship seem smaller. The mirrors and repeating decor made every turn in the ship seem confusing and with the tight corridors and tons of people, it made for a stuffy ship. Corridors were like a labyrinth. Not enough deck chairs it seemed. Stacks of loungers in the corner and people walking around looking for an open spot (and yes, I know to get on pool deck early). I have to agree with another reviewer, no lounge chairs in the solarium area, just tables and chairs. Tough language barrier with staff throughout the ship, even more than usual. Not too many smiles from the staff unlike RCC. Strange, there was a lack of presence of the head crew of the ship. Usually we hear announcements from the captain sometime during, nothing in the daily planner either about who is driving and who the big wigs on board are. Maybe it's a European thing? MSC chose to use the lifeboats as tenders while we were on Cayman. Not a smooth trip what so ever on choppy waters. There was some scuttlebutt that it was to save money by not using the Island Ferry's. The ferry's are larger and you feel less of the choppy. I'd heard about some interesting and even dangerous stories about people getting on/off them that day. POSITIVES: We had good service from our wait staff in Villa Rosa. Nice wine selection, and the way they did their wine package was good. Our cabin attendant was good. They have a killer gelato (which is probably not gluten free). We felt it was a very clean ship, there was always someone seen cleaning. Smooth embark/disembarkation.

Dark, Smelly, Opulent Ship of Mirrors

MSC Divina Cruise Review by PenK

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom – Fantastica
This was our fifth cruise, first with MSC, all the rest on RCC.

NEGATIVES:

POSITIVES:

We had good service from our wait staff in Villa Rosa.

Nice wine selection, and the way they did their wine package was good.

Our cabin attendant was good.

They have a killer gelato (which is probably not gluten free).

We felt it was a very clean ship, there was always someone seen cleaning.

Smooth embark/disembarkation.
PenK’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Divina price drops

Balcony Stateroom – Fantastica
Cabin B2 13153
Clean. What I'd expect from a Balcony room. The glass to block the wind was effective, we could use the deck more often than not.

Needs a chair with a back at the desk, not an ottoman. Nothing to drape clothes over to dry (nothing dry's in the bathroom, very well).

A few hooks on the wall to hang everyday clothes would be nice. No other chairs/couches in room to sit on besides the bed or out on the deck.
Cupido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Grand Cayman
    The wreck snorkel was great, just a few hundred feet from the cruise ships and shore. We may have been in the water about 30-45 minutes both stops.
    We ended up not going to the beach break, so can't comment on that portion.
    View All 3,285 Grand Cayman Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Cayman Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    For $119 each, it was NOT worth it!!! One of those all you can eat all you can drink all you can do type excursions. This is the second one we've ever done like this. Stay away.
    The seaweed/kelp undergrowth kept me out of the water. Although the resort was beautiful, we were competing with another cruiseline's passengers and the resorts occupants for chairs. We must have walked 15 minutes looking for chairs to sit in sun. Very crowded! Food was hotdogs, hamburgers, jerk chicken, fries...not a buffet setting. Drinks seriously watered down (not surprising). Too windy to wind surf and paddleboard, and too kelpy to snorkel. Waste of time and money.