3. MSC Divina
I took my wife on the Def Leppard cruise as a birthday celebration, and to give MSC a try, this was our 9th cruise... I'd read about all I could find about Divina prior to the cruise and so was aware of others misgivings. While certainly not a perfect cruise, it was no where the life shattering experience others claim. Yes, the weather wasn't great and a performance on the pool deck was postponed- they did slow the ship down and tried to position it to minimize the wind. It would've been better to have the show moved to another venue, but that's for MSC to explain. As with several negatives about the cruise, both sides dropped the ball; which is odd since this wasn't the first theme cruise for either party. Quite a bit of the negativity I think comes from a share of the passengers who were drunk and stupid even before boarding.....complaining when looking for your boarding photo that DL wasn't the back drop? really, that ignorant?? You didn't see the ship as the backdrop??? I agree that it was "different" from other cruise lines to need to go to the reception desk to set up the onboard spending account, but it went well for us. Maybe the attitude you give is what you receive... Also agree a good portion of the staff could be more engaging, but in my travels in portions of Europe it came as no surprise. Not saying anything negative about it- it just is what it is and one accepts it; hopefully they will continue trying to improve catering to Americans if they're going to succeed here. I've seen several comments about how the Muster was handled. Agreed bringing flotation devices wasn't the greatest idea (a demo from crew would suffice). While MSC bears the ultimate responsibility of presenting it; at least at Station E the passengers would not shut up and pay attention, the few who did try could not hear anything. You fools- this is for YOUR benefit! I at least did see staff pull one lout aside who couldn't bother to bring his vest or listen. Yes, the weather was unfortunate and affected a lot of the cruise. Nothing any human could do about that- some cruise lines would give monetary consideration, some don't. There was rain and wind, hardly a hurricane. We got off in Freeport for a bit of quick shopping- nobody ever said you couldn't. At Half Moon Cay, the seas were not safe for tendering. Wandering up and down the Bahamas the rest of the time was monotonous and an alternate port of call would've been good, but I don't know the intricacies of unscheduled porting a cruise ship, maybe it was too involved for the amount of time we'd have been there. The food.....we didn't try any restaurants, as we like buffets for variety (reasonably portioned). The entrances to the buffet posted layouts of both Calumet and Manitou sections, showing icons and names of all stations. It was strange that dinner sections were pretty limited, and late night basically a few salads/sandwiches and fruit. I do fail MSC there. Breakfast was pretty good (didn't care for roasted bacon though), lunch we thought was the best. Variety and taste were very good if one bothered to look around and maybe be adventurous. The Ethnic station had a fine paella, jerk chicken and others. The pizzas were decent, but I thought they'd be better if they did a mix through the day, not the four daily varieties.... I really do agree the servers are understaffed, which sets up the situation of dishes empty for too long--- MSC gets hammered on this and has to improve. We DID enjoy the ship itself, the stage shows were pleasurable (wish the pirate show would've been part of this cruise), we really enjoyed the overall lack of smoke; and I'll certainly entertain the idea of another MSC cruise-- on several conditions.

Would try again, on a nonchartered cruise.

MSC Divina Cruise Review by watertrips

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Bella Balcony Stateroom

watertrips’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Divina price drops

Bella Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 8142
Some say their room was small, but comparing our balcony room to previous cabins on RCL and Carnival show their within 7sq ft of each other, the balcony within 2 sq ft.
Decent size and decor (full length and width mirror on the adjacent wall !?! ), U.S. and Euro outlets, t.v., very quiet due to the enclosed atrium, very convenient location. Only downs are the semi-obstructed view due to lifeboats, and small shower. The glass doors look neat, but make things tight...
Cupido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins