Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by branaman

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

I have been a dedicated Loyal to Royal cruiser for over 10 years. I hope to NEVER cruise with them ever again. For starters, the entire on-line process was not user friendly. I am not some luddite and I am getting an MBA on-line. I know how to navigate websites, however, every single time I needed to do anything on line I had to call and have someone walk me through the process. I was never able to complete on-line check in, and RCCL refused to allow me to do anything with my minor child's check in. When I called to complain I was basically told,"sorry about your luck". And then I got on board.

Our bathroom flooded every single time we took a shower. My daugher was staying in an adjacent cabin and had the same complaint. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and I considered sleeping on the floor. The cabin smelled like mildew, and I am certain that had something to do with the flooding bathroom.

The food was downright horrid. We actually LOST weight on this cruise the food was so bad. The food in the windjammer was always cold. If you wanted orange juice that wasn't watered down, it was an up charge. As a matter of fact, upcharge was the theme of the boat.

We had gotten so many bad meals at the windjammer, we started going to the dining room for all meals. With every meal someone from the ship was trying to sell us something. It was like cruising with the strawmarket on board. I'm beginning to wonder if RCCL is having financial troubles.

My daughter wanted to buy things from the ship's store. For whatever reason, her seapass was showing up invalid. The clerk said she would have to bring her actual credit card to complete the purchase, then charged her $50 to use it!

RCCL is clearly spending all their money on their new mega ships and putting no dollars into upkeep of their other ships. The carpets were threadbare, decorative tiles were missing, the vinyl backing on dozens of chairs in the windjammmer were peeling. The ship looked shabby. Needless to say, I am done sailing with RCCL.

branaman's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin F 1410

The cabin was in an excellent location. Even though it was next to the stairs, noise was never an issue. It was a quick walk to the dining room and theater.

Snorkeling

HIGHLY recommend this excursion, literally the best I have ever done. It wasn't cold at all. In fact, it was a bit warmish with the gear they give you.

View All 31 Snorkeling Reviews
Mendenhall Glacier

We took a bus located at the port. Buses ran every 30 min. So much cheaper than what the book offers. If you want to tour the ice cave, contact the park. It is an all day hike

View All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Skagway

We didn't book an excursion. We just went shopping. They offer the exact same things found in every. single. port.

Whale Watching

It was ok. Saw some whale humps. Froze our butts off

View All 161 Whale Watching Reviews
Vancouver

We didn't go anywhere. City is super expensive

branaman