3. Oosterdam
We picked this cruise because of the itinery and dates matched our local school holidays, In hind site it was a mistake, and we probably should have gone on another ship that was closer to our demographic. Most of the passengers on this cruise were elderly, we are in our early 40's with two kids. Its hard to articulate my feelings on this cruise, the ship was nice, the food was nice, if a little bland, the ports were lovely, and the staff did their jobs well. The ship just had no atmosphere, there were small groups that were having fun and enjoying themselves, but mostly people were sitting around looking bored. Entertainment, really was geared towards to older passengers so there wasn't a lot for us to do, though we did enjoy the BB Kings lounge a few times, but there weren't a lot of people at the shows, so there was little interaction between the band and audience, I also never saw anyone in the nightclub. By 11pm most might, you would be lucky to get a drink as most of the bars were closed and the place was a ghost town. We had a large internal stateroom and it was comfortable and clean, the beds were very comfortable. Kids club was pretty disappointing, granted there weren't a lot of kids on board, but the staff treated the kids like a bit of an inconvenience, and really didnt put in a bit effort with the entertainment. We also had some bad weather that prevented us from going to Dunedin and Milford sound, but we got an extra day in Melbourne which we really enjoyed. I think we'll be going back to Royal Caribbean, its more suited to us, the atmosphere is a lot better, which to me, is more important than some of the other aspects that HAL boast.

Disappointing experience

Oosterdam Cruise Review by Sharshebelle

Sharshebelle’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin L 6075
Cabin was clean and comfortable, it got a little noisy in rough weather,but we did go through some extreme conditions, most of the time was very quiet and I would recommend it.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins