3. Oosterdam
Where to start. Embarkation - Pouring rain when we got to the port. No cover we were soaked through dropping our bags. Then watched our bags moved to the trollies which were also without cover, by the time we got them they were soaked as well. Great Start. HAL need to remember that not all their passengers are from the US. Everything on board was aimed at a US market. The quizzes, the food, the trivia, the talks and even the entertainment. The food was extremely poor. Three nights in a row we retreated to our room for a room service steak sandwich as we could find nothing edible (and believe me we are not the fussy type). The buffet was gazetted as closing at 8pm (early) however on 3 occasions we went to eat at 7.30 to find them already closed. You could eat reheated pizza or undercooked pasta whenever you liked. Coffee machines were out of order constantly or if they were working they were often out of water. The staff did the best they could and were friendly and helpful. Entertainment - With the exception of Paul McD in the Piano Lounge (He was brilliant) the other guests were poor. (If they were busking I would have kept my hand in my pocket and kept walking) The staff shows were good but why at 11pm.

Less than perfect

Oosterdam Cruise Review by diamus48

diamus48’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS
We had our 14 yo sharing our cabin and it was plenty big enough. HAL kept forgetting she was there - had to ask for gown, slippers - never got 3 chocolates in room - never got 3 pieces of fruit then wanted her to pay gratuities.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• taxi hire
    Hired a taxi for 3 hours to show us the sights. 3 people - total cost nz$100 Visited many place off the map and driver gave great commentry Great Value
    View All 13,176 taxi hire Reviews
  • Cadbury Chocolate factory
    Boat docked a day earlier than expected. I-site arrange advised Cadbury tour of change of itinery due to weather and rang us to let us know that the tour would go ahead and that we had been rescheduled with Cadbury very good tour
    View All 13,176 Cadbury Chocolate factory Reviews
  • City Tour
    Great way to see as much as you can. Driver commentary very informative and entertaining. Lots of Photo opportunities. Not too long. Comfortable travel