3. Caribbean Princess
My husband and I have taken 3 cruises each with a different line (RCL, Holland America & Carnival). After reading the reviews and checking prices we decided on the Caribbean Princess and since it was our 25th anniversary we opted for the balcony. We hit unexpected traffic and arrived about 4 pm and were probably one of the last passengers to embark. There were no lines and no waiting. We wanted to see our stateroom first and were pleased to find balloons outside the door congratulating our anniversary. The steward was right on hand and introduced himself AND the room to us. This was a first! Everything was very clean and pleasantly furnished with more than adequate storage for clothes and suitcases and having a safe was nice also. What drew our attention was the view from the balcony it was spectacular! We decided to watch the departure from there instead of looking out a closed window or leaning over a rail. The checked luggage was delivered in a very timely manner. The ship is very clean and in good repair. It is tastefully decorated and lighted and flows nicely making it easy to navigate. The dining room was large but the seating arrangement and spot lighting made it seem intimate. There were more men in tuxedo's and ladies in long gowns than on previous cruises and that added elegant atmosphere. The menus could have been clearer as to what each dish consisted of and it's a pain to keep having to ask "What's this?" so we stayed with what we knew and that was very good. The wait staff was friendly and the service excellent. Since this was the 3rd time to the Caribbean we didn't even get off the ship in port or at Princess Cay…If you already live in the tropics it's just another day at the beach. I found the shops on-board to be the largest and best stocked so far. Our favorite place is the casino! Other ships seemed to tuck it in as an after thought but this one was spacious with a large bar and all the tables and machines you could ask for. Since we are originally from Boston we wondered if they would be showing the World Series. We found a small cigar bar with easy chairs and sofas and had a great time! There were 2 days of rather rough seas but that's expected in October. I wore the patch and had no problem. My complaints are few…The beds are hard as rocks! Ask for an egg crate overlay I wish we had. The stateroom was rather warm even with the thermostat as low as possible. Beside the view I think the balcony was the most disappointing. The chairs are the cheap white molded plastic jobs that are $5 at Wal-Mart, no cushions. We were high up on the Riviera deck and could see down to ALL the balconies below. Even the partitions that divided the balconies side to side afford no privacy. Conversations unless whispered are easily heard. The sliders are a struggle to budge and seem to suck the a/c out of the room and it took hours to cool down the room leaving it very humid. The bathroom shower stall was so incredibly narrow I had trouble raising my arms to wash my hair without flooding the bath floor. Overall the Pro's far outweigh the Con's. I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for the balcony unless you have no need for privacy.

More Pros than Cons