3. Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas Sail Date: 10-21-07 Embarkation: San Juan Islands: Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Thomas Embarkation: My wife and I booked all of our travel direct with RCCL including airfare and transfers. We left Atlanta at 9:40AM on Sunday, Oct. 21 and arrived in San Juan 3 hours later. We were greeted at the luggage carousel by RCCL customer service. They directed us to the luggage bus where we dropped off our luggage and got on the bus. We had our Set Sail Pass and other docs filled out when we got to the pier. There was a line waiting but because we had our info filled out, we got on the ship in about 20 minutes. This is our 3rd RCCL cruise but first on the AOS. We knew what to expect as we have been on Navigator twice and the two ships are very similar. As usual we were not disappointed. The balcony room was terrific and we had great views all week long. Having coffee in the AM on the balcony & wine in the evening was perfect for us. Our stateroom attendant, Natasha was great. She took care of the room and was very nice. Our first day was at sea and very relaxing. We had a Meet & Mingle with other folks from CruiseCritic and that was great to meet them. Eleven of us toured together one day on St Lucia and six of us hung out together most of the trip. Definitely do a Meet & Mingle and get on the message boards for you sailing dates ahead of time. Barbados: My wife and I had been here before and wanted to have Flying Fish & CouCou (great local dish). We took a shuttle into town about 10:00AM and did a little shopping. Then we went to Muster's for lunch. If you like to try local food this is a great restaurant. It is on a side street downtown. Turn down the alley by Scotia bank and it is on the right upstairs. Great hot sauce also. We took a taxi and did the Mt. Gay Rum factory tour. This was very interesting and you get to try their rums at the end. It was good tour. St. Lucia: This was the day we did a tour with 11 people from Cruise Critic we had met on the message board. It was prearranged with Cosol Tours (go to ports on CruiseCritic) and you will find info on Cosol. This was a real highlight of the trip. It was 5-6 hours long with lots of stops and a great guide (Adrian). All of Cosol's guides are good from what I have read. This is a must IMHO. Antigua: I had researched this a lot as I wanted a nice quiet beach with a nice beach bar. I got what I wanted at Darkwood Beach. It is a beautiful stretch of beach just past Jolly Beach Resort. If you want peace & quiet with lunch & soda or a few beers as options this is the place to hang out. Cab drivers will take you and arrange to pick you back up at a certain time. Antigua has many beaches so I imagine there are others like this. St. Maarten: We went to the Guavaberry Emporium with our CruiseCritic friends to buy our favorite liquor. We also had a Guavaberry Colada (or two). You really enjoy shopping after that. It rained most all day and we did not get to the beaches but it was fun all the same. We had lunch at Tallulah Mangoes and it was very good. Try the Pecan Pizza, it was great. St. Thomas: Our friends had rented a car as one of them knows the island well. It rained most of the day but we still got to go to Magen's Bay and walk in the water and on the beach. There is a great beach bar there as well that serves Baileys & Banana Coladas. It is a beautiful that we will come back to. The staff on the AOS was terrific. Capt Tommy, Cruise Director Mike and the crew always were smiling and willing to help people. I never heard anyone complain and with over 3,000 people on board that takes hard work. The food was very good in the main dining room and Portofino's. Make reservations for Portofino's on Sunday about 8:00PM for dinner and you can watch Puerto Rico sail by. The lights are beautiful and this makes for a romantic evening. VinnRoy (aka Vinny) is the bartender in the lobby bar (deck 4) and makes a great Mojito. He also tends bar at the Blue Moon Bar on 14. Our wait staff was terrific as well. We only ate once at Windjammer and it was good for a quick bite. Also, quick bites & cookies can be found on deck 5 Royal Promenade. Disembarkation: We had a flight at 4:10PM back to Atlanta so we booked a tour through RCCL and saw Old & New San Juan. We really enjoyed this as San Juan Rico is very pretty and it kept us in vacation mode after we got off the ship. We got to the airport about 12:15PM and had lunch. If your airline offers pre luggage check in at the pier do it. Once we went through customs we gave our bags to Delta people at the pier and did not see them again until we got off the plane in Atlanta. A few hints: If you like Splenda as a sweetener take your own. The ship does not carry it. Bring a large coffee cup with a lid if you like coffee like we do. You don't have to keep going back as often. Travel bottles of clothes wrinkle remover works well. If you are bringing liquor back on a plane take bubble wrap, packing tape & two gallon zip lock bags to pack it in. None of ours got broken in our suitcase... And RELAX you are on vacation.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by vidalia1

Adventure of the Seas
And RELAX you are on vacation.
vidalia1’s Full Rating Summary