3. Adventure of the Seas
Just returned from a 7 night cruise on Adventure to the Southern Caribbean. This was my first cruise and it was a treat for my mother. She is 78. Was not sure how it would go but i have to say the overall experience was great. Royal Caribbean was excellent. You definitely get value for money. We paid $1400 for two people which was an oceanview room. For this price you cannot expect fine cuisine when it comes to food but i have to say the food was actually very good. You could have breakfast in the dining room (served) or the windjammer which was buffet. Usually did not have lunch as we were off the ship but it was buffet style. Dinner was pre assigned seating in the dining room. You had a choice of 4 or 5 items from appetizers, main and desserts. I was impressed by every meal. Went to Portofino's ($20p/p) one night to check it out. It was very good but to be honest it was not necessary to do it again as the dining room had great food and service. (My plan initially was to eat at Portofino's every night if the food in the dining room was sub par). Did not book any excursions on the ship. Either rented a car or got on an excursion outside the boat. Just played it by ear and it worked out perfect. The entertainment was also quite good, definitely worth going to see. Anyway its either that or sit at the bar having a cocktail or shopping or hanging out in your room. You have lots of time to do this anyway so might as well go see the shows. Alot of reviews complain about the Puerto Ricans on board. I believe there were approx, 1700 on our cruise. Overall they were fine, a little loud at times but they were having fun. I live in NY and the PR's there tend to be much more uncivilized (lower class for sure). thank god they were not on the boat. We arrived from NY on the day of the cruise and everything was real smooth. We were in our room within an hour upon arriving at the port. Getting off the ship was also a breeze. Our flight was not until 4pm so got a 3 hr tour of san juan with time for shopping and lunch. They kept our luggage safe in the bus. The tour bus then dropped us of at the airport. Check in took about 20 mins max. My mum and i went to the bar and had a farewell cocktail. Overall i would recommend this cruise. the only thing i was not impressed with was Aruba and Curacao. Not much going on there really. I would say the eastern cruise (same boat) might be more interesting. St Thomas and St Martin were fine. Anyway it was a cruise so it was all about the ship and it worked out perfect for us. Hopefully will do a cruise to Alaska next year with my mum. Any ideas? If you have any questions i would be happy to help you, my email address bkiernan2005@yahoo.com bon voyage

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean