3. Adventure of the Seas
We are a family of 5 plus daughter's fiancE. Wife 46, me 46, engaged daughter 19, fiancE 20, son 16 and daughter 11. My wife and I had been on one prior cruise, the Monarch of the Seas out of Los Angeles for a 3 day Mexico weekend cruise. This was everyone else's first cruise. We flew from Orange County, California to San Juan on Saturday and got in on time at about 7pm. We took a taxi-van from the airport to the Sheraton Old San Juan. I had reserved two adjoining double rooms, with my wife and the girls in one and my son and daughter's fiancE in the other. Upon arrival, however, they didn't have availability. Since I am a Starwood Gold member they offered me two suites that were four doors apart. Ok. That'll do. After throwing out luggage into the suites, we walked to Restaurante Raices, which was just around the corner from the Sheraton. We had good Puerto Rican fare and especially enjoyed the Frape de Parcha, a passion fruit smoothie. After dinner we walked around the port area and visited the Hard Rock Cafe. We were in bed by 11pm or so, eagerly awaiting our Adventure of the Seas cruise. Sunday - Departure Day I awoke early and went to the rooftop pool area of the hotel and took pictures of the area. Carnival's ship had docked nearby and the Adventure of the Seas was across the harbor at the Pan American pier. Once the family woke up, we walked to La Bombonera for breakfast. We had strong PR coffee and Mallorcas. We began our walking tour of Old San Juan and followed the Frommer's guide. http://frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/0323010008.html We enjoyed the several mile walking tour and toured the El Morro fort, then made our way back to the Sheraton to grab our bags and head to the pier. We checked out and found another taxi-van outside. By 1pm we were dropped off at the Pan American pier and quickly dropped our checked bags with a porter and tipped a couple bucks per bag. Then inside the terminal with our Sea Passes and passports we checked in and got our cards, no lines, no waiting. Through the metal detectors and onto the Adventure of the Seas. We had lunch in the Windjammer and walked around for a few minutes before 2pm when our cabins were available. We had three cabins on deck 9. My wife and I were in a D2 balcony cabin 9590, the girls were in the inside directly across from us, 9591 and the boys were in 9593, right next to the girls. This worked out great as they were close enough to feel comfortable, far enough for alone time with the wife. Our bags arrived right away and we began to unpack. After the muster drill on deck 7, we returned our life vests and donned our bathing suits for the first of many visits to the pool and Jacuzzis. This was the only time they weren't crowded. We then showered for dinner (we had late seating at 9pm the first night, 8:30pm the rest of the cruise) and went to casual dress dinner in the dining room. Our table was on deck 3, bottom deck of the three deck dining room. After dinner we went to the comedy show, Gary Mule-Deer. We had seen him on the Tonight Show when we were kids. He was funny at times and not at others. After that it was off to bed. Monday - Day at Sea Slept in this morning and then wife and I did a workout in the fitness center. We showered and left notes for the kids that we were having breakfast in the dining room. They joined us a few minutes later. Breakfast in the dining room was nice and the food seemed better than the Windjammer. After breakfast we lounged by the pool and looked around the ship some more. I did get in line to get ice-show tickets for the next evening. We were too full from breakfast to partake in the poolside barbeque lunch. Later in the afternoon we snacked by the pool on some plates from the Windjammer. Dinner was formal that night. We enjoyed the food every night in the dining room. My daughter's fiancE is a red-meat lover and he and our son had at least two appetizers and two entrees every night. No one left hungry. Tuesday - Barbados After a Windjammer breakfast, we went into the terminal and found a taxi driver with whom we negotiated a tour of the island, with three hours at a nice beach. We rented Wave Runners and the kids went on a glass-bottomed boat and snorkeled. We paid $30 per person and gave him a 10%tip. Did a little shopping in town and back at the pier before re-boarding. Wednesday - St. Lucia This is the only island we had pre-arranged a tour. We had read about Franks St. Lucia tours online and emailed him to book directly. http://www.stluciafrank.com/ The day tour was $50 per person and included lunch. Frank met us in the terminal with a sign and we were quickly in his van and on our way. We saw the Pitons, the Diamond Botanical Gardens, Soufrière's "Drive-In" Volcano and had lunch at the Beacon with a view of the Pitons. A big thunderstorm blew through as we were enjoying our St. Lucian cuisine and just added to the atmosphere. Frank took us to a spot with a view of the harbor and the Adventure of the Seas for photos. Then back to Castries for some shopping and walk back to the ship. Thursday - Antigua Again we just found a taxi driver and negotiated a day trip with Dr. D. He took us to Nelson's Dockyard and across the island to Long Bay for a few hours. More Wave Runner fun here. He was there at the right time to take us back to the pier. All this for $20 per person. I signed up for the pre-paid the gratuities and also bought the $20 per person American Airlines valet service. Friday - St. Maarten/St. Martin I had been to this island on business before and had an idea of what I wanted to do. We took the water taxi for $5/person round trip and again found a driver at Phillipsburg to take us on my itinerary. We went to Orient Bay for a couple of hours. We paid for chairs and umbrellas and that included a drink for each of us. Then our driver met us and took us to Marigot for some upscale shopping. Then to Maho Bay and the Sunset Beach Bar to watch the airplanes land and take off and have some lunch. Then he met us at SBB to take us back to Phillipsburg for some shopping before taking the water taxi back to the ship. Saturday - St. Thomas After a quick walk through the dining room to clear U.S. Immigration, we had a Windjammer breakfast and off the ship. My family and I had spent a week on this island in 2003, so we again knew what we wanted to see again. We jumped in one of the open-air, multi-row truck taxis to Coki beach. We hired chairs and umbrellas and snorkel equipment and enjoyed our three hours there. We had stayed at the former Renaissance Resort which is across the road from Coki. That resort is now closed and sits unused. There is a little restaurant on the water next to the former Renaissance called Fungi's that we thoroughly enjoyed while we stayed at the Renaissance in '03. It is still open, however we were discouraged by the locals from walking as they say the closed resort has attracted those who might attack/rob tourists. So we got in another of the open-air taxi-trucks and were dropped at Fungi's. The food was Caribbean in nature and good, but the real attraction is that the restaurant is built right over the water. The same driver was waiting for us after we finished lunch. He took us back to the straw market in Charlotte Amalie. The kids remembered a particular vendor there who sang everything. We found "the singing lady" again and made a purchase from her again. After more shopping at the straw market, we walked into town and began to shop in earnest for jewelry. I bought my daughter a yellow diamond pendant as an engagement present. My wife had her heart set on a small Tanzanite ring. However, she was very particular about what she wanted and we literally went from store to store. Boarding time had come and gone and we were still shopping. We finally jumped in a taxi that took us back to the pier shopping area for more Tanzanite hunting. Finally one of the shop keepers saw us and said, "Hey, they blew the 5 minute warning horn a while ago!" That sent us running for the ship. Fortunately, there must have been others who were running late. We were back on the ship, albeit without any Tanzanite. That night after dinner, my wife an I visited the jewelry shop on the Promenade and found the perfect little Tanzanite ring. I'm sure I paid too much for it, but it was exactly what she wanted and I was happy to get it for her. Plus the double points on my RCCL Visa didn't discourage me. We packed and tagged our bags, both with the red RCCL tags and the American Airlines valet tags, and had our checked bags in the hallway before midnight. Sunday - Departure Red was one of the first colors to be called. So we had an early breakfast in the Windjammer and went directly off the ship. We went through customs, collected our bags and delivered them to the AA representative in the terminal. That was the last time we saw them until we returned to Orange County. We grabbed a taxi-van and were at the airport in plenty of time for our 11:35am flight to DFW. Uneventful and on-time best describe our flights home. Final Thoughts We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise and have now booked a balcony and inside across the hall for the Liberty of the Seas for next summer. Our daughter will be married two weeks before and so won't be joining us. We didn't miniature golf, climb the rock wall or play basketball. The kids and teenagers didn't use any of the programs available for them. While the kids visited the midnight buffet, my wife and I did not. The kids also used room service for snacks in the afternoon and late night, my wife and I did not. The balcony was wonderful, especially at night as we moved from island to island. The solitude in the middle of the dark sea was inspiring. It was also nice as we arrived and left the islands. The only time I felt crowded was in trying to use the Jacuzzis in the afternoon. The shows were just ok with the exception of the not-to-be-missed ice show. We're definitely hooked on cruising and are looking forward to becoming Platinum C&A members in the near future.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean