3. Island Princess
Hi, this was a very pleasant cruise to the interior of Alaska after 7 days of the Island Princess. The entire trip sucked me into the "cruise" attitude...Kathy and I and the other couple with us will go on many cruises in the future. The only two complaints I had was the instant coffee on the boat and getting stuck in a "smoking" hotel room in Fairbanks when we requested Non Smoking. All connections went pretty smooth from plane to busses and to boarding boats and trains. Long lines but all went pretty smooth. Everyone tried their best for customer service. I say "try" because most people on board the Island Princess were of a different nationality...and they were sometimes very difficult to communicate with...but all people on the cruise were absolutely doing the very best for customer service...no rude people there. Nice job to the "crew"! As I said my "hang up" was the lack of a "Starbucks" standard of coffee. You ask for brewed coffee and they give you that instant stuff they call 'brewed" coffee...yuk...And of course no one understands what you want...and there was none on board anywhere...I was really surprised...I would gladly buy good coffee or some real good espresso...I did find a bar 1/2 way thru cruise that fixed some espresso...was good...but I could never get one w/my meal or at some entertainment...or any other place. I'm really surprised that no one demands a "Starbucks" standard of coffee on these cruises. At Starbucks I mostly get a real delicious decaf espresso...boy was I a disappointed camper on this trip!! Anyways, we'll be on many more cruises...just not cruises without some good coffee though. The experience of traveling that the Princess lines was well worth the price... The entertainment was mediocre...but passable. The informal 24 hr (or at least it seemed that way) food court was very acceptable to our party of four...We hit a couple of exquisite dining arrangements...and it was too formal for us...and I am a very basic guy and couldn't appreciate all of the different fancy side dishes...give me a steak or hamburger and I'm a happy camper. We had great pleasure of roaming the boat checking out virtual golf and a mini put course that was fun. We enjoyed the card room w/some games. I am an ex cigar smoker who absolutely loved sitting in the smoking room enjoying the heavenly fragrance of cigars. My wife got a little sea-sick...the drs took good care of her...we'll bring some good stuff on the next cruise. Sincerely, Jerry and Kathy Carlson

Island Princess - Alaska