3. Island Princess
Cruise was very good. The room was large and the food was good. I would have liked to been able to use either dining room for a menu meal, but we were assigned a certain one. It was crowded so we ate buffet the most often. An improvement would be some other soft drink included besides iced tea. All others had to be paid for on your princess card. I was not impressed with the "shopping" program on board. It was an hour meeting telling you how you could buy a shopper card and get all these free things. Princess should not have to do this for the local merchants on the ports. I did enjoy the excursions but they were somewhat pricey. My favorite was the Best of Juneau. We did see whales, humpbacks and killer. My least favorite was panning for Gold. You get a pan with a small amount of sand, etc. and when you look through that it is over. There is a short tour of a mining operation and an outdoor meal. The meal was okay but I did not like the baked salmon. We also did the land tour which involved two different train rides. I did not like the length of these. The princess train is on two levels. You sightsee on the top. Moving near the top of the trees was very hard on the eyes. The meal was on the first level. The service was poor and slow.Food was okay. The two princess lodges McKinley and Denali were beautiful. I would have loved to stay there longer. We were so tired from the train that we didn't have time to enjoy. The Denali tour on a school bus was long but it would have been much easier if we had a night to rest from long train ride first. It was very informative especially if you are into animals and conservation. In Fairbanks we went on a riverboat cruise which was very informative and we really were pleasantly surprised. The last night was at the Bear Lodge. This name is deceiving. It is a motel room in the city. Not a lodge. Just a room with a very expensive dining room. No place to walk to eat, but a free shuttle if you wish to go somewhere else.

Island Princess - Alaska

Island Princess Cruise Review by abrady

• Sail Date: May 2007
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)
abrady’s Full Rating Summary