Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

• Sail Date: Feb 2015
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

Bahamas Cruise February from Baltimore Maryland

For advice firstly on a winter cruise from Baltimore, Maryland: 8 night Bahamas Cruise 13th February 2015

We were well aware of the potential weather conditions that could interfere with our travel plans, mostly issue of snow so we flew to Philadelphia to stay with my sister on the 8th February to allow good time to get to Baltimore, travelling there on Wed 11th .

temperatures –11 C and snowing.

Baltimore a lovely city even in winter. Must return there in summer time. Fantastic Visitor Information Centre and shopping and restaurants down by harbour. We stayed in Hampton Inn and Suites Inner Harbour and it was so convenient to everywhere.comfortable rooms . Excellent breakfast. 24 hour tea coffee at main reception area.

Easy to get to the port about 10-15 minute taxi ride.

DAY 1; Friday 13th Unlucky for some, lucky for others!! On arrival at Port everyone hurrying in to the terminal due to it being so cold so pretty crowded . Didn’t seem as well organised as our last first cruise from Cittivecchia Italy but nevertheless went smoothly and staff so friendly.

The ship had had a Norovirus breakout on previous cruise so was getting a good cleaning over.

Delay in being Rooms ready got to them around 3pm but relaxed in solarium meanwhile.

See Cabin review below.

Overall an very intimate feel to the ship Grandeur of the Seas

Mixed passengers I think capacity of 2,400 and 395 of these were children on this trip . I liked the mix but many were not expecting so many children. The activities for children seemed great from what I witnessed wanted to join in myself.

My time dining great choice – had booked on line pre departure the times we preferred and sometimes changed , once only an hour before and there was no problem. Table for two but close enough to next table if we wanted to chat.

Dining room staff excellent and food great.

4 nights main dining room and Windjammers other nights and food selection variety great and staff so friendly. Serving in main dining room can take time obviously – which is great if you are happy to relax and not in a hurry – nice to have Windjammers for times when you are maybe just back after a long day in port and feel you are too hungry to wait .

Hand gel stations manned and reminding you to gel your hands but amazing the number of people who still walked by.

Entertainment – great bands and shows and dancing in Centrum , enjoyed all the dancing classes and staff made such an effort.

We had no issues with anything on board.

Aware of three cabins that were flooded – occupants called over intercom to return to cabins immediately on deck 3 .

Several Alpha Alpha Alpha calls on trip ( i suppose majority of passengers older age group) and medical team acted promptly.

PORTS OF CALL

DAY 2 : At Sea– loads of choices of activities.

DAY 3: Cape Canaveral: Kennedy Space Station was our plan for this port.

We had researched ways of getting there ; taxi , car rental , public transport. but the tour offered by the ship seemed the best option and now we know that it was.

Our guide was fantastic and obviously was able to get us through faster and the place is so HUGE if there by ourselves we would not have known where to start. Very well organised and a fantastic day. a hectic day ; bus pick up at 10.30 and back to ship at 5.30 ( did state 6.30 on itinerary) but a tiring day so glad to get back to have something to eat before other tours returned. Limited time to grab something to eat on the tour unless you omit some of the attractions.

DAY 4: Cocay Cay_ Tendered and weather glorious so no problems getting to this island leased by Royal Carribbean.

Ship crew prepared food on the island and well organised queues to get food. Lots of opportunity for water activities or sun loungers if you just wanted to relax. people took glass bottomed boat tours snorkelling etc. We walked around the island (roughly 3 miles I think) walking through the nature trail which was nice and it was a lovely relaxing day. Straw market on the island but very expensive but the vendors were so lovely and jolly you couldn't but buy something. but probably best to wait until Nassau.

DAY 5: Nassau Bahamas

DAY 6: Key West

Had planed just to walk around ourselves – very walkable.

Nice relaxing day shame cut short but wise decision to leave early

DAY 7 : A lot of swaying people with disabilities finding it difficult but staff so helpful. Staff struggling with sea sickness as well as passengers and travel sickness medication readily available at reception. Up in Windjammers deck 10 amazing to waves crash off side of ship and over roof of Windjammers!! A lot of ship activities had to be cancelled. We had attended a dance class and were finding it difficult to stay upright so understandable that the main shows didnt go ahead. But no sea sickness for us thankfully. Showed us a lovely film Big Hero 6 instead – have never been to a cinema in an evening gown.!!

DAY 8: So cold ice on deck –13C outer decks closed.Not sure if it was because it was our last day or weather hampering some activities but people not enjoying day as much as others I was happy to have a chilled out day. Farewell part good Bag packing necessary and Terry room attendant obliging with vacuum for vacuum bags for clothes Bags outside door by 11pm tagged.

On previous cruise you were able to access your on board account on TV but not available on this trip. So needed to keep track of spending and last statement was delivered at 6 am the morning of arrival in Baltimore so that you had time to question any concerns. Also guest services desk staff very friendly and helpful.

Talking with Terry it seems that we were luck with our return trip previous sailing very rough and every one sick.

DAY 9: Arriving back into Baltimore we had to break through ice in the Bay.

7.15am Queues of people for express departure – all lined along the corridors of Deck 4 with their which made getting our of our cabin to go to breakfast awkward but no hassle . our designated departure time 8.50 so relaxing breakfast in Windjammers.

Queues through customs moved well in port our bags waiting for us

Baltimore temperature –15C and snow storm on the way. We had a train booked for 13.00 hours ( to allow for any delays)Too expensive to change to an earlier train so we left our bags in train station $4 per bag and we got on Charm City Circulator( free bus service with several coloured routes around city) down to Harbour for a last look . Soo cold , lightly snowing then heavier snow storm. Got back on bus back to train station to hear driver on to headquarters and they were taking buses off the roads and looks like our train to Philadelphia was one of the last to travel , many trains cancelled. Amazing to see snow building up on walkways between carriages and freezing and to see porters trying to shovel it out..Our train was late but we got back to Philadelphia where weather conditions were terrible.

Queued over a hour in snow blizzard for a taxi and took over 20 minutes for a 6 minute journey to our hotel the Windsor Suites Benjymin Franklin Parkway . Had a fantastic Suite with a balcony so we relaxed in warmth looking out at snow. Very comfortable. Kitchen and tea/coffee making facilities. Staff exceptionally friendly. Could have breakfast in Con Murphys Bar /Restaurant downstairs by main lobby.

Sightseeing difficult with all the snow foa a day or so . We had a few more days before our flight so conditions had improved by the time we were leaving and no problems with getting to airport or flight delays.

A thoroughly enjoyable holiday overall.

Guest Review of Grandeur of the Seas Cabin 4574

Cabin Score : 92out of 100

Cruise Date:2/13/2015

Review Submitted:2/28/2015

Passengers in Cabin:2 Passengers

Past Cruise Experience:2nd Cruise

Cruise Length:8 nights

Would You Book This Same Cabin Again? Absolutely! It's a great cabin.

Bathroom Condition Spotless. Everything is in top shape and feels very clean

Technology, Comfort & Convenience Good. Appropriately sized, flat-panel TV

Lounging Space Chair with a coffee or side table

cumba68's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin G 4574

Guest Review of Grandeur of the Seas Cabin 4574Cabin Score : 92out of 100 Cruise Date:2/13/2015 Review Submitted:2/28/2015 Passengers in Cabin:2 Passengers Past Cruise Experience:2nd CruiseCruise Length:8 nights Overall Room Condition Impressions There is a little bit of wear and tear, but, it is in generally good shape .Naturally when you walk into the cabin it seems smaller than what was seen in brochure but it soon becomes home.Would You Book This Same Cabin Again? Absolutely! It's a great cabin. Noise In Cabin A little noise in the cabin -- you didn't notice it if you were not paying attention .Cabin right next to Centrum where entertainment was provided all entertainment was over by 11pm the latest 11.30 on one occasion but not a problem. Never slept so well. Even after noon siestas. Could hear music if you paid attention. Often hear one of my favourites playing not realising they were on stage and was able to just pop out and occasionally left door slightly ajar and relaxed in cabin listening. Cabin Odour No noticable Odours Well I always take a room freshener with me to add a bit of freshness and feeling of home..but our room attendant kept cabin spotless Temperature Control in Cabin The temperature controls were VERY effective and you could easily maintain temperature . Just as well as very cold on fist night at sea and last night. WiFi Signal Strength in Cabin 4574 I'm on vacation -- the last thing I want to do is connect to WiFi. (I didn't test it…) Lighting The lighting is exceptional - the cabin was very thoughfully lit. Excellent lighting at vanity table perfect for applying make up. Bathroom Condition Spotless. Everything is in top shape and feels very clean View From The Cabin Very good view Lovely to be able to look outside and to have natural lighting. We would have found an inside cabin claustrophobic. Drawers, Clothes and Luggage Storage Excellent. I was able to find a place for everything in the drawers and closet. I didn't have to leave anything in my suitcase Technology, Comfort & Convenience Good. Appropriately sized, flat-panel TV Lounging Space Chair with a coffee or side table Additional Comments: I had mentioned when booking that I am not great at sea so this cabin was ideal centre ship. Just before leaving for our trip I looked up the cabin and when I saw where it was located I wondered about noise being an issue but didn't have to worry. Close to everything, Centrum, dining rooms, There were rough moments at sea and every one congregated in Centrum. People shaken about on upper decks and one person fell in shower due to rough seas. So couldn't have had a more suitable cabin.

Perfect Day at CocoCay

Cocay Cay_ Tendered and weather glorious so no problems getting to this island leased by Royal Carribbean. Ship crew prepared food on the island and well organised queues to get food. Lots of opportunity for water activities or sun loungers if you just wanted to relax. Water slides etc for children. people took glass bottomed boat tours snorkelling etc. We walked around the island (roughly 3 miles I think) walking through the nature trail which was nice and it was a lovely relaxing day. Straw market on the island but very expensive but the vendors were so lovely and jolly you couldn't but buy something. but probably best to wait until Nassau. Really enjoyed barbeque.

Nassau

Nassau BahamasWe just explored the town : on leaving ship loads of opportunities to avail of tours.We visited The Fort Charlotte( very small compared to Irish forts) and Queens Stairway and good opportunity to go to Post Office to post your postcards. Explored and got to meet locals away from the tourist area.Senor Frogs Bar restaurant a great attraction . Full of ship passengers having a great time and it being my husbands birthday we got into the party spirit. Good food and cocktails and karaoke . Again lots of opportunity for water activities. oh and of course a visit to the Straw Market where we bantered and bargained with the lovely locals such fun. ( This was before any alcohol) Half the price of items in Cococay. Also got our Ricardo Rum to bring back home. ( obviously taken from us on boarding ship but returned the night before our final port.

Key West

Key WestHad to go through Immigration as re entering USA after visiting Bahamas. Immigration came on board . Huge long queues and waiting times for US citizens who were frustrated but for Non US not too many of us ( mostly staff who obviously had to wait )so we were through in no time. Even if you weren't leaving the ship you had to go through immigration.Had planned just to walk around ourselves – very walkable.Weather changed and rain and wind on our arrival in Port and port authorities suggested departing an hour earlier that scheduled as a bad weather front on the way.Well typical Irish well prepared with rain gear. Decided to take a tour with City Trolley tours – great narration but could not see anything out of the windows but great way to get a feel for a place and the information was great later when weather cleared up and we walked around..Quiky yet old feel to place. Got off at Hemingway's House- crowds there but very well organised so never too many people in an area at once. Great tour.Strolled the famous Duval Street Visited the famous Key West Lime Cafe and had Key West Lime Pie.Nice relaxing day. shame cut short but wise decision to leave early

cumba68