It has been a rather disappointing experience. This was our second cruise, the first one being a 7 day trip in the Mediterranean with Royal Carribbean on a smaller ship (Legend of the Seas).
Costa Serena did not deliver what we were expecting, in a nutshell:
- Overall service was horrible. Everyone from the reception desk to the restaurant maitre were completely uninterested with their guests well being and engaged in really rude and unprofessional conversations.
- Despite the ship being relatively new, it was very badly kept. Rooms were dirty and under mantained, as they were public areas like restaurants and bars.
- Food selection was obscene. We are an Italian couple and were expecting more from Costa than just frozen dishes. Beef meet was so hard to cut it was inedible and fish was really the same you can get out of frozen supermarket food.
- Important parts of the ship, including poolside attractions, were closed for the whole duration of the cruise.
- Shore Excursions were a joke. We did not book any as they were crazy expensive, but our neighbors at the restaurant did one for each stop and told us they find them poorly managed by rude staff.
Costa is probably going down the way of cheap cruises, but it is still promising a premium experience, which is really not the case anymore. We will never book with Costa again unless it is a huge bargain for a cruise with no navigation only days.
Very dirty room, rich of stains on both the carpet and the sofa. Bed lining was wrinkled.