3. Caribbean Princess
This constituted our 3rd and 4th cruise with Princess. The second cruise was quite nice. The first and these last two were safety hazards. This cruise was a "combination" where we went from Ft Lauderdale to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios then back to Fort Lauderdale. Then out again to Princess Cays. We had booked a nice interior rum but left the option for an upgrade. Our second mistake. The room they gave us was an unobstructed view but at the bottom of the ship. As soon as I saw that I tried to get our original room back, but they said NO. We discovered that the room was set up for 4 people rather than two and used buck beds mounted to the wall. (Be sure to read the fine print). We had the beds set up so we could sleep together. Mistake 3. We had about 8 inches on each side of the bed to get out. SO you had to carefully slide sideways to get into the bed. The main problem was when you tried to get up, you nearly always hit your head on the bunk bed that stuck out about a foot from the wall and about 4 foot from the floor. My wife hurt her shoulder and I got a concussion. Yes, dizzy and eyes did not focus evenly. So we complained. They said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. I asked others aboard ship about it and they said Princess had removed the bunk beds for them to help. When I asked, Princess said NO. When I then explained that with a quarter and a little help, I could remove them. They responded that doing that would leave a relatively small piece of metal that would stick out into the room about 8 inches - so it would be unsafe. I guess that long metal bar that stuck out 12 inches or so and was 6 foot long was considered safer. So they in essence admitted that the room was unsafe. We complained to the desk and elevated to the top officer in charge, but she "could not help me" as "no other rooms were available." From talking with passengers and stewards, we discovered that was not exactly the truth. Evidently the other rooms were all "in maintenance." In fact the company was contacting as many people as possible and offering deals to them for the latter portion of the cruise. And the officer was not authorized to help. Neither was she authorized to make any compensation. When we talked to the lady that schedule future cruises, she related how she also hit her head on those beds and it made her very mad. But she advised that we should never allow them to upgrade us as this often resulted in an official upgrade to a noisier, less comfortable room. And said that people "should not try to get something for nothing." So now, I had a head ache and was called cheap.... or worse? We then realized that the only way to have the room was to set the beds against the wall. They when you got up, you normally didn't hit your head. The room was over the launching area and evidently a staging area. So all day and night we heard boxing etc being moved. On mornings in port, we were woken about 4 am in the morning. But the other main safety issue was that for the first 5 days of the cruise, we could not always get out of the room. The lock would hang up - especially if we used the dead-bolt. It took me several minutes of juggling with it each time. Could you imagine being locked in your room during an emergency aboard ship? We complained they worked on it 6 different times. On the day we were required to check in with customs, it hung up again worse. So I called and an officer came down and got very frustrated. He called through the door that I just needed to turn the knob. I told him that if I could do that, I would not have needed to call. He found the lock to be hanging up a lot - the bolt stuck out and he could not get the door closed for quite a while - and he was getting worried. So later the entire lock was replaced and we then could use it properly. So for the first 6 days of the cruise, we spent more time with the complaint group than we did with any other activity. With essentially no satisfaction. The steward mentioned when we arrived to put out the little card if we wanted service. But we found that was useless as he only cleaned on his schedule. While telling our tale to others we discovered another couple who could not close their door for 3 days. And two ladies who were locked in the public restrooms on two occasions. We did discover how to "speak Princess." To speak Princess, just say "NO" either politely or directly. We demonstrated this to many during meals. For example, they had served banana-nut pancakes on morning. So I asked if they could do that again but they said "no" but they could give me sliced bananas, which they did. Our table was not full, so when we met another nice couple we tried to get them set at our table - IF the other couple did not come again. The man in charge of seating said NO. Those other people may come on this night. I once again explained that IF they did not, could they join us. "NO." It became a joke for many of us. At least one other couple said they had gone on 10 to 25 cruises with Princess, but they agreed that this was probably their last as it was our. We tried to contact Princess after we got home - as the staff recommended. No joy at all... With the first cruise we took a few years ago with Princess, the steward broke a glass in our room and did not warn us - my wife found a shard jammed into her foot. She limped the entire cruise and could not do activities very much. With both that cruise and these two, when we tried to work with Princess about any correction or encouragement, we met with either "NO" or quiet.... Now you see why this critic is labeled "Our Last Princess Cruise"

Our Last Princess Cruise

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Marauder13

And two ladies who were locked in the public restrooms on two occasions.
Now you see why this critic is labeled "Our Last Princess Cruise"
Marauder13’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

The room they gave us was an unobstructed view but at the bottom of the ship. As soon as I saw that I tried to get our original room back, but they said NO. We discovered that the room was set up for 4 people rather than two and used buck beds mounted to the wall. (Be sure to read the fine print). We had the beds set up so we could sleep together. Mistake 3.We had about 8 inches on each side of the bed to get out. SO you had to carefully slide sideways to get into the bed. The main problem was when you tried to get up, you nearly always hit your head on the bunk bed that stuck out about a foot from the wall and about 4 foot from the floor. My wife hurt her shoulder and I got a concussion. Yes, dizzy and eyes did not focus evenly. So we complained. They said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do.I asked others aboard ship about it and they said Princess had removed the bunk beds for them to help. When I asked, Princess said NO. When I then explained that with a quarter and a little help, I could remove them. They responded that doing that would leave a relatively small piece of metal that would stick out into the room about 8 inches - so it would be unsafe. I guess that long metal bar that stuck out 12 inches or so and was 6 foot long was considered safer. So they in essence admitted that the room was unsafe. We complained to the desk and elevated to the top officer in charge, but she "could not help me" as "no other rooms were available." From talking with passengers and stewards, we discovered that was not exactly the truth. Evidently the other rooms were all "in maintenance." In fact the company was contacting as many people as possible and offering deals to them for the latter portion of the cruise. And the officer was not authorized to help. Neither was she authorized to make any compensation. When we talked to the lady that schedule future cruises, she related how she also hit her head on those beds and it made her very mad. But she advised that we should never allow them to upgrade us as this often resulted in an official upgrade to a noisier, less comfortable room. And said that people "should not try to get something for nothing." So now, I had a head ache and was called cheap.... or worse?The steward mentioned when we arrived to put out the little card if we wanted service. But we found that was useless as he only cleaned on his schedule.
  Caribbean Princess Deck Plans