Silver Shadow Cruise Review

OK, but not worth the premium

Silver Shadow Cruise Review by webwiz69

• Sail Date: Nov 2014
  • Destination: South America

Maybe we had been expecting too much, but Silverseas whilst perfectly OK does not seem much different to the other lines we have used, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O and Princess, in order to justify the higher price. The two main differences are that drinks are included and that there seem to be a lot more staff. But my wife is teetotal and I do not drink a lot and for the heavy drinkers the other lines offer drinks packages so I do not see inclusive drinks as worth much. Also I got rather irritated by the excess staff fussing round me all the time. I am quite capable of carrying my own plate from the buffet to the table.

The food was generally OK but no better than other lines and in the main restaurant was usually tepid by the time it arrived at the table. I strongly advise passengers to use the alternative dining venues when they can, but they are severely restricted in number and have to be booked in advance.

There were no port lectures! I suppose, in retrospect, that passengers were expected to have a private discussion with the shore concierge desk, but they always seemed busy when I went past.

This line may be suitable for heavy drinkers and those who like a lot of personal attention but it is not for me.

webwiz69's Full Rating Summary