3. Celebrity Infinity
Myself and my partner are both 30 and have never been on a cruise before. We were assigned stateroom 2155 on deck 2 and enjoyed upgraded stateroom amenities which included champagne on arrival, fruit delivered each day if requested, dressing gowns, binoculars, a tote bag and a golf umbrella to be used onboard. Day 1: We got on at San Diego B Street Cruise Terminal. As soon as we got out of the taxi, a handler came and took our luggage then we headed straight for the check in. We got there around 12:30 and supposedly had missed the peak time. There was a large queue but as expected because the ship accommodates up to 2000 guests. It took us about an hour to get onto the ship. Once on we had no idea what to do and the stateroom was not ready until around 2:30. Lunch was available in the Ocean Cafe which is the buffet on deck 10. We were free to explore the ship. Some people brought there swimwear in their day bags so used the pool/hot tubs while the rest of us looked on enviously! At 16:15 we had an emergency muster to attend so that everyone knew where they should be in case of an emergency. We had lunch and dinner in the buffet and the food was lovely. The service excellent and staff very friendly. We decided we didn't want to head to the main dining room that night as we heard it can be a bit chaotic on the first night due to people wanting to change their allocated time. We made the mistake of eating the first thing we saw at lunchtime so for dinner we walked all around the buffet island and decided on the stirfry which is made from the ingredients you choose for yourself. Day 2 - at sea Day 3: Arrived at Cabon San Lucas, Mexico. We decided not to book an excursion directly through the cruise ship to save a bit of money. I'm glad we did this because there were so many things on offer when we got off. We wanted to go snorkelling and spoke to a guy selling different tours. It cost us $30, I didn't haggle the price because the equivalent trip with Celebrity was $50. We boarded a little glass bottom boat (the glass bottom wasn't anything special) and sailed past lovers beach, divorce beach and shown pelican beach where we would be snorkelling. We also got to see some sea lions lazing on the surrounding rocks. We were dropped off at lovers beach and had to walk across to pelican beach. This took about 10 minutes across the rocks so bring appropriate footwear if you have delicate feet! Beware that locals will help you get off the boat and expect a tip. There was snorkelling gear and life jackets for hire on this beach. I had to hire a life jacket because the water is very choppy and I am not a very confident swimmer. The life jacket cost me $5. We had arranged for our driver to meet us 2 hours later. He arrived to pick us up no problem! I was a little nervous as I had read that some people were left stranded on this beach by their driver. If this does happen to you then you can get a lift back to shore with another boat, it may cost you but at least you'll get back. There are shops where you can buy drinks so it may be worth buying a few and bringing them back on board. I.e. a can of coke cost $1 in the shop compared to $2.50+gratuity on board. Day 4: Arrived at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. We didn't book an excursion (they offer a trip to swim with dolphins) as we just wanted to explore the area. We were quite surprised at what awaited us when we arrived. There is nothing tourist orientated available when you get there (apart from shopping). There is a shopping mall across the road as well as a Walmart and a "Makro" type store. Everything is in Mexican Pesos, they accept US$ but will give change in Pesos. If you don't enjoy shopping I would recommend arranging an excursion for this stop. Day 5 & 6- at sea. We received a message regarding some passengers becoming ill (norovirus etc ). The ship took immediate preventative action. At the buffet restaurant we were no longer to serve ourselves food/beverages. Cutlery was given out by staff. Anything that could transfer germs was taken away, including the daily newspapers and crosswords/sudoku puzzles on deck 3. I noticed a change in other passengers' attitudes when having to wait a little longer for food etc. But there really is no point in complaining, ultimately the ship is trying to prevent an outbreak so just go with it. Day 7: Arrive at Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. After our experience at the last port we decided to book a few Celebrity excursions. We know that we are paying extra but it gives peace of mind knowing that we have guaranteed transport there and back. The ship will wait for us if we on a tour booked through them that is running late. So we opted for the self guided tour to Antigua costing $43.75pp. There was a short walk from the ship to our buses, walking through a market place and refreshment stall selling coconuts for $2 (they sold out by the time I wanted one - sad times!). They also have tour kiosks/operators so if you don't book through Celebrity you can easily get on a tour here. We heard that the volcano tour was worth the trip. We had a 90 minute drive to Antigua and given about 5 hours to wander around. We were given a map with points of interest. The drop off/meeting point is at the jade museum - whose staff are very willing to give advice about where to go. They recommended a cafe to stop at for lunch which was right next door to the chocolate museum. The local currency is the quetzal (7.5 quetzals = $1) and it's best to check places accept USD before stopping to eat. What I loved most about Antigua was the bartering with craft makers. There are so many items for sale and so many sellers - you will be spoilt for choice. If you don't buy anything in town you will have a second chance to buy at the port. Day 8 - at sea. On board outbreak prevention still on going. Day 9: Arrived at Puntarenas, Costa Rica. We decided to go on the Poas Volcano tour ($104pp) and unfortunately the weather was not on our side. There was zero visibility of the volcano when we got up to the viewing deck. I guess this is the risk you take.The rest of the tour included a lunch stop on the way back down (food was delicious!!!) and a stop at the oxcart factory - a really pretty family run establishment with lots of different flowers and people painting. They have a gift shop which is more expensive that a market trader but I didn't mind paying a bit extra to support them. We arrived back at the ship with an hour to spare and wandered down to the beach front to browse through the markets. You can try haggling but they're not as flexible as they were in Guatemala! Day 10 - at sea. Day 11 - cruising through Panama Canal. What an EPIC day this was. There were a lot of people at the front of the ship as the Captain had opened up the heliport. Personally I didn't like the view from there. My favourite spot was on deck 4 (right hand side) as you get up close to the action and depending on which lock you were going through the wall would be within touching distance of you. There were good views from the back of the ship on deck 10. We spent most of the day walking around enjoying different perspectives. I particularly enjoyed watching the ship parallel to us because you could really see how the locks were operating. When leaving the canal keep an out for the new gates that will be fitted on the expansion project - they are immense! We had a guest speaker Mike McPheters on board who is a specialist on the Panama Canal and he gave 3 talks prior to this day. I felt that I had a good understanding of the history of the canal which added to the day. Mike is a really great guy too, he is so interesting I could listen to him talk til the cows come home! Day 12: Arrived at Colon, Panama. There is a shopping area a short distance away from the port including a supermarket where we picked up cans of soft drinks for $0.60! We saw A LOT of crew stocking up here. We decided to book onto the Monkey Watch excursion ($89.75). It was around an hour bus ride to back to Gatun Lake. We were taken aboard a 20-seater boat that took us down the lake in search of wildlife. I thought to myself if we didn't see any monkeys I wouldn't mind because the boat ride is good fun in itself and very cooling in the humidity! We saw all sorts of birds including toucans. Caught a glimpse of a crocodile. Came across about 30 baby crocodiles who where so well camouflaged I couldn't believe the driver had spotted them! The best bit was seeing a couple of white faced capuchin monkeys and a family of howler monkeys - these were the only ones we saw but it made my day! We also turtles, lizards and rodents! Our guide did say that it was a good day to spot wildlife because it was cloudy and had been raining heavily so the monkeys in particular wouldn't be hiding from the sunshine. I would consider going on a Celebrity excursion in Colon because I didn't see much being offered on the docks however this may be because our excursion was at a later time than normal. Day 13: Arrived at Cartagena, Colombia. We decided against the hop on hop off tour purely because of the inflated price ($39.75pp). I've been on these red sight seeing buses in many cities and they usually range between £15-£20. There is a short walk to the port exit (free shuttle also offered). Be warned that the port is an industrial one so not a lot to look at! When you get to the exit you go through some sort of wild bird sanctuary. There were geese, flamingoes, parrots, peacocks and a um...rabbit! I had mixed feelings about seeing some of the birds - such beautiful creatures who were allowed to roam around but had obviously had their wings clipped. So you don't see them as nature intended but at least they are being looked after (I hope!). When we got to the exit there were loads of tour operators/taxis vying for your attention. We decided to go with a chap named Francisco Ferero (I think!) or Pancho to his pals. It cost us $20pp and he basically took us on the same route as the hop on hop off tour would go. 1st stop was a photo stop at the fortress. We didn't have time to go in there and you have to pay. Next we went up to la popa monastery. We didn't have much time there and had to pay $5. The views are worth it - they also have washrooms. Outside there are a few market traders where you can pick up souvenirs. Next we were taken to an emerald museum which we had little interest in so ducked out and walked to the beach which was a couple of minutes away. We only wanted to go there to take a picture but kept being bothered by people selling sun cream or a lounger. I'd lost all hope of having a coconut drink but low and behold they were sold at the beach but for $5!!!! I'd like to say it was worth it but $2 would have been better :) we continued our tour with a short stop at some souvenir shops and a stroll through the old city. One thing I wasn't so keen on here was the aggressive sales tactics by many. They shove merchandise in your face, put hats on your head, grab your arms, come up to the bus windows when you're trying to admire the view...basically invade your personal space. Pancho got us back to the boat with an hour to spare so all in all I would say worth the $20. I would say be patient if doing something this. When we agreed to go with him we had to wait about 30mins for him to fill his bus. Day 14 & 15 - at sea. Arrive at Miami port at 07:00. A bit hectic when you get off and it was a bit of a shock because you are treated so well on board but customs don't really care that you're in Miami :D we were selected to have our bags searched which was a little inconvenient but they appreciated out patience implying that they usually get a hard time off people. We booked the airport transfer to MIA costing $16.80pp purely because we had 2 large cases each and it wouldn't have fit into a standard taxi. However when we got out there were bigger taxis available. I would recommend getting a taxi - it isn't a long way and it would be quicker. We had to wait around 30 minutes for the bus to make its way back from MIA. General comments: - restrictions due to outbreak prevention lasted for the rest of our trip. We had heard that the ship had to have a 48 hour period with no one reporting an illness before things could go back to normal. - Staterooms include a hairdryer, towels & beach towels, plenty of storage, cotton balls & cotton buds and tissues. -You chosen credit card will be linked to a "sea pass" account which is used for any transaction on board. You can also settle your account in cash. -You can change currency on board at guest relations. -There are lots of activities on board to keep you occupied whilst at sea. -The library is open 24/7 but collection is a bit dire. It was closed as soon as outbreak prevention was issued. -Internet is available and they charge per minute or you can buy a package. Be advised that it is a very slow connection and sometimes is not available. -There is also a casino and spa (at an additional cost). -The gym is free to use and is well equipped. It is very busy in the mornings and very quiet in the evenings. They also provide gym towels and water. -The pools are much smaller than I expected. -There is a laundry service available but is charged per item! -The stateroom attendants will come in the morning and then in the evening. -You do not have to dress up if you do not want to. This really isn't our type of thing so on formal nights we ate in the buffet restaurant on deck 10 where the dress code is always casual! -Most passengers were aged around 60/70. There was a spattering of younger couples and about 30 children in total. -We didn't visit the Main Dining Room once because we really enjoyed eating at the buffet. Most evenings were spent at the sushi/stir fry part. The cook Chandra from Indonesia was a highlight of the trip. He could be found on one of the omelette stations in the morning and the stir fry in the evening. He was never without a smile and would often break out into a song. Such an infectious character! -Food really is a personal preference - aside from the MDR there were also 2 other restaurants that you could pay extra for. My main point regarding food is that the buffet is not as bad as some reviewers have made out. -We had a wonderful time and have so many amazing memories of the places we visited. We would definitely consider another cruise with Celebrity in the future!

Panama Canal Cruise onboard the Celebrity Infinity

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by lai_light

Day 1:
Day 2 - at sea
Day 3:
Day 4:
Day 7:
Arrive at Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.
Day 8 - at sea. On board outbreak prevention still on going.
Day 9:
Day 10 - at sea.
Day 12:
Day 13:
General comments:
-You can change currency on board at guest relations.
-There are lots of activities on board to keep you occupied whilst at sea.
-There is also a casino and spa (at an additional cost).
-The pools are much smaller than I expected.
-There is a laundry service available but is charged per item!
-The stateroom attendants will come in the morning and then in the evening.
lai_light’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Infinity price drops

A lovely spacious room with enough storage space and room under the beds to store luggage. If you can bring additional hangers. The cabin is located between the middle and back lifts - a good location for the Ocean View restaurant.
  Celebrity Infinity Deck Plans