3. Adventure of the Seas
This was my first cruise so I had no idea of what to expect. I cruised with an old friend that I met up with once we were on board. My flight to San Juan was uneventful. Once at the airport, things got a little chaotic. The airport is fairly small and crowded. I followed the crowd to the baggage area where no one knew which carousel was for our flight. After a fairly long wait, our bags appeared. Some bags were dripping wet from a storm in Atlanta. A tip here is to put plastic between layers of clothes in your suitcase to prevent too much damage. After gathering our bags we located the Royal Caribbean transfer people and after a great deal of confusion and very crowded conditions, we were finally on our bus and on our way to the ship. From this point on, everything went beautifully. We had no trouble once at the pier and I was on board within 30 minutes. After touring the ship and checking out our cabin, it was up to the Wind Jammer to eat. There was a very broad range of selections on the buffet, so it was hard to choose. Everything was good. It was fairly crowded, but they were prepared for this and had all lines open and running. Food in the dining room was also very good. There were always enough choices to suit everyone. Our waiter, Mecik, was wonderful. He was very efficient, but also friendly and helpful. We never missed a dinner and were never disappointed. Food was so plentiful and convenient, that we only ate one breakfast in the dining room. Again, the service was great, although we were seated with a rather rude and demanding couple. The quality of food at breakfast was very good, and the juice was not watered down as it was in the Wind Jammer. For us, it was usually just easier to go grab something there-watered down juice and all. We did have room service one morning, and service, selection, and quality were quite good. The Cafe on the Promenade always had coffee and some sort of snacks available. This was very convenient for us. The entertainment on board was excellent. Our cruise director, Richard Spacey, was a real hoot. He seemed to be everywhere during the cruise. The Ice Show was not to be missed, even though it was a bit of a nuisance going to pick up the free tickets. This was only to ensure that everyone who wanted to see the show would be accommodated. All the other shows were also very good-we only missed one during the week. I was surprised that they weren't better attended. Also, the entertainment in the bars, around the pool, and on the promenade was excellent. I can't say enough about the variety and quality. Everything from classical guitar, to island music that was all just great. They even had game shows and such at night. They were hysterical. A couple were R-rated, but they were advertised as adult entertainment, so everyone was forwarned. We had a balcony cabin, which was well worth the extra money. The room was small, but well designed and it had plenty of storage. The bathroom was small as well, but never a problem. Our cabin steward was really good, although some friends we met on board weren't quite as lucky as we were. Everything was always ship shape whenever we returned to our cabin. The emphasis on the ship was the public areas, and they were never a disappointment. There was plenty of seating available on deck, but inconsiderate people would come and reserve 2 or more seats each-I heard one couple say they had seats in the shade and in the sun. There were signs posted prohibiting this, but the staff did nothing to stop them. In fact, most of the time-there were more empty seats with towels or something on them than there were people sitting in them. This is probably my biggest criticism of the entire cruise. Shore excursions were enjoyable. We studied long and hard prior to the cruise trying to figure out what we should do. We ended up booking all our shore excursions online prior to the cruise. We opted to use these rather than venture out on our own since we were 2 single women. Also-it was a lot easier to have everything set up for you ahead of time and not have to worry about anything. It may have cost slightly more, but we thought it was well worth the expense. We did a total of 5 excursions and all of them were good. I highly recommend the Swim, Snorkel, and Swing excursion on Aruba. Be sure and take an underwater camera. Other people we met didn't sign up for anything ahead of time as they were afraid they'd have wasted their money if the weather was bad, since usually the excursions go on as planned. As it turned out, weather was gorgeous all week so that didn't matter, and since they hadn't booked ahead of time, the most popular excursions were sold out. This cruise had 2 days at sea, which was plenty for me. There is a lot of time spent trying to sell you things, but I just ignored it all and no one was pushy. Bingo seemed like a big event, but when I went to check it out it was $30 and I declined. I don't know if that was the only price there was, but for me, it wasn't worth it. The same goes for the casino. It stayed very busy and I went through it several times, but didn't spend my money there. The Art Auction wasn't my thing either, but my friend went to one and had a ball and bought some art. There were plenty of other things to keep you entertained, from swimming to table tennis to towel folding classes. I didn't use the fitness center, but we did check out the rock climbing wall and walked the track. Also-the spa offers just about everything. I had a manicure and pedicure and my friend had a massage. We were both pleased with the services we received. One warning-if you want to use the spa services during at sea days, so does everyone else, so reserve your space as soon as you board the ship. Disembarking was a breeze. In fact, it went so quickly we were at the airport more than 2 hours before our flight. I would recommend this cruise to everyone. There were all types and ages of people on board. There were a lot of honeymooners and there were couples celebrating their 50th wedding anniversaries. There seemed to be wealthy people and an equal number that scrimped and saved for the vacation of a lifetime. As for me, I've already started saving for my next cruise. Alaska, here I come!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean