3. Adventure of the Seas
Warning! This review is long and detailed because I know that researching ships is difficult. I am including a lot of information. I went on this cruise with my family (I am an older teenager) and found it to be wonderful. It was our first cruise in general and with Royal Caribbean, and it certainly will not be our last. We decided to fly to San Juan a day early and found out that this idea was great in that our plane to San Juan (direct flight) was delayed 3 hours because someone dropped a cell phone into the plane's toilet. I know, weird. Anyway, when we arrived in San Juan, there were people in orange shirts who write up sheets that say where you are going, how many bags you have and the price which you give to the taxi driver. We stayed in the Hotel Milan in Old San Juan, and found it to be a decent hotel. We were lucky because that very weekend was a culture fest on the street and so all night long there was music and food. We were able to experience some Puerto Rican culture during out short stay. Embarkation The next day, we went to the port around 1-1:30 and found that embarkation was smoother than expected. I would highly recommend checking in online and printing out the contract because it made embarkation much easier. Food The food throughout the ship is very good. The Windjammer buffet is very good, but isn't exceptional. The buffet serves the same dinner as the main dining room yet I liked the dining room better. The main dining room is a huge elegant room that is 3 floors high and has 3 parts: the Mozart, Strauss and Vivaldi dining rooms. We ate in the Vivaldi, which is the bottom floor, our waiter was Benjamin from the Philippines, and the assistant waiter was Jeydall from Nicaragua. They were both very nice and the service was excellent. After the first night, they both knew our names and they knew to give us diet cokes right away when we sat down. The food was always wonderful and well portioned. I must say, the desserts are excellent, and if you cannot pick from the list, just ask for whatever ones and split it with someone! That is what I did anyway. We bought the unlimited soda package for everyone in my family, and while it cost $160 for 4 people, it is worthwhile because every CAN of soda is $1.50. We really made it worth the money. We didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants and stayed with the included food. The Cafe promenade had good desserts, sandwiches and pizza, and is open 24 hours. Ship The ship was huge and it was a workout to walk around (which was perfect after all those desserts). The dEcor was nice and there were nice art and sculpture-light things in the promenade. Entertainment This was my favorite part. The cruise director, Richard Spacey from the UK, was hilarious! He made the ship really fun to be aboard. He was always at the main shows and always had a joke and danced to his theme song (Tequila!). My favorite part he did was "Rich's Top 10 Questions" where he listed the stupidest questions people asked him, like, "Is this island completely surrounded by water?" or "What elevation are we?" I went to all the production shows and the ice show and they were all fantastic. There was clearly a lot of work put into them, and the fact that we were on a rocking boat made it all more impressive. As a teenager, I went to the teen club, the Optix, almost every night. The first night on board, I met many people and as the week went on, we split further into different groups and I hung out with several people whom I like a lot. There were also several comedians who were outstanding. I was laughing so hard to entire time. Activities There was so much to do on the ship, and the sports area was very cool. There was a mini golf course, a rock climbing wall, an in-line skating area, a basketball/volleyball court and a golf simulator area, not to mention the pools. The rock climbing was fun and harder than it looked. I should warn you though about the pools, they are chlorinated salt water. I guess it is easier to maintain. On the pool deck there are several bars and all around the ship there is always live music going on. Cabins We stayed in a room with a balcony and a pull-out couch. The room was enough for the four of us, and surprisingly all the clothing we had brought fit well in the closet and drawers. The bathroom really could not get any smaller, but it was functional. I highly recommend getting a balcony room because it is relaxing to sit in a quiet outdoor area and it is also a good place to dry towels and swimwear. Ports of Call Our itinerary for the week included St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. I really liked going to 5 islands in 7 days because every day you wake up, you see another gorgeous island awaiting you. What wasn't so great was St. Martin, because while the island was beautiful, the weather was horrible. The locals there said they have never seen so much rain come down at once, it was like a tropical storm. Not really though. In St. Thomas we went to Magen's bay. We had been to that island before and knew where to go. The beach is beautiful there and it is wise to go as soon as you get off before everyone else gets there, because it gets busy. We then went to town and did some shopping, yet not too much since it was the same as the last time we went. In St. Martin, we were scheduled to do a snorkeling excursion but it was cancelled due to rough waves (and eventually that rain) so we hopped onto a different excursion called Beach Rendezvous where we got a really short tour of the island as we drove to the beach called Orient Bay. The beach itself was absolutely beautiful and we were lucky to get some swimming in the powerful waves (because it is on the Atlantic Ocean) before the heavy rain set in. You should be warned though that this beach and all others are "European Style" and Orient bay also has a nudist colony on it, so some nudity may be viewed. The shopping in St. Martin is great, better than St. Thomas price-wise and it is a good place to get jewelry. In Antigua, we did the stingray snorkel and swim excursion and it was very cool. We took taxis then speedboats to an area in the middle of the sea where it was much shallower (I think it was man made), fenced and were there were stingrays. Supposedly they are friendly, but seeing those eyes and everything else buried in the sand scared me. Yet it was fun to snorkel around and see the reef and the fish. In St. Lucia, we did the Pirates Expedition were we went on a ship used in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies (it is a random ship in the bay scene). The crew onboard was funny, and one guy named Gyra was really funny. We sailed to an island about 1 hour away from the port and we had an hour to explore or hit the beach. My dad, brother and I hiked to an old military port and that was a huge workout. The whole time you are hiking at a really steep angle. Once we made it to the fort, the view was amazing. You could see for miles and the Pitons (the two mountains) were even visible in the distance. I would recommend this excursion because it is enjoyable. We did some shopping in the area right next to the dock, but we couldn't go to town because everywhere was closed since it was a Catholic holiday. The prices in St. Lucia are expensive, but aren't too bad. I was disappointed that I couldn't go see the Pitons up close because it was an hour away and we didn't have time, yet I am very happy because the captain (Captain Remo of Norway) took a detour and sailed right passed them, and even though it was getting dark, they were still magnificent. In Barbados, we did the Turtle Encounter excursion which was really cool. We took a boat to an area where there are turtles, and unlike the fenced in area of Antigua, they were free to swim around. The turtles would swim around and you could touch them and snorkel around to see fish and more turtles. We snorkeled with turtles for about 30 minutes, and then we sailed to another area where there is a sunken barge and a very large reef. You should be warned that there are jellyfish in the area, and while there is a harmless type, there are tiny ones that sting (not poisonous though) and I got stung a lot and it burns for a little while. Then from there, we went to a secluded beach which was one of the most beautiful ones I have been to. The sand was so soft and clean and the beach had nobody else on it. We then shopped in town, and downtown is like any other populated city area, not the cleanest or the friendliest area. Now the prices in Barbados are really expensive and if you want to buy souvenirs for people, make sure to finish your shopping before getting to this island. Normal mugs that are $5 in other areas are up to $13 here. In the end I loved every island and was glad I picked this itinerary. Overall Royal Caribbean is a wonderful cruise line and I highly recommend it. Last recommendations I would give is to not pack towels! There are towels given to you to use at the beach and the pools. Towels just use up space in suitcases that are eventually needed for stuff bought during the trip. Also, remember to pack formal wear, dresses/skirts for women and suits for men. There are 2 formal nights, and if you don't want to dress up, the Windjammer is always casual. Also, the main dining room is not the place for shorts and flip flops. Trust me, you will feel out of place. In the end, the worst part of the trip is coming home to realize you have gained weight and that you have to start cleaning and cooking again.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean