3. Oosterdam
There are not many reviews on the Oosterdam so I wanted to be of some help to the people out there that may be looking at this cruise. First of all my husband and I have only taken a handful of cruises and only on Carnival so those of you who are cruise snobs may disagree with my assessment. Embarkment- Our flight was late coming in so we had no lines but the red-jacketed staff was friendly, met us at the airport and we were on board in our room in less that 30min. Our luggage came quickly as again we were late boarding. Sea Days- The three at sea days were wonderful. Weather was beautiful, seas were calm. We had a balcony room (highly recommended) and we enjoyed breakfast delivered daily with the paper and enjoyed it on our balcony. The stateroom was very roomy, plenty of drawer space, be sure to check under the bed and couch (more drawers) Ports- Cabo- We had to tender here; a little bit of an issue. Be sure to leave very early or wait until after all the shore excursions to avoid the crowds. We just took a glass bottom boat $20 for two, to Lovers Beach; high waves, a few vendors but overall wonderful. The water taxi will come and get you and let you off by the pier or down by the hotels/restaurants. We also took a quick walk to Cabo Wabo's just to have a shot of Tequila. Had lunch at a new restaurant "Pepitos" food was great; service was FUN. This was by far our favorite beach. Mazatlan- We took a private tour with Mazatlan Frank www.mazatlan-frank.com We took the city/beach tour, if you want shopping, city and beach this is a great tour. We enjoyed the Church, art district and the overall tour however, the beach is not as nice as Cabo and the vendors are worse here than any other port. Frank will get you to and from the ship with plenty of time to spare. PV- We took a dune buggy trip into the Sierra Madre. I wish I could tell you who it was through however, we just got off the tender and found a little stand. Luckily the people were nice and honest. They took us to a garage outside of town, provided us with a guide, goggles and a bandana and we took off. Through small villages, up hills and through rivers. After we were totally wet and muddy they took us to the Tequila factory and after a few shots of free Tequila we got back on the dune buggies and rode back to town. Total cost $100 for two per dune buggy. We had a blast. As you can tell we loved every day of our trip. My husband and I are early 40s and left our kids at home so we enjoyed the Oosterdam because it caters more to an older crowd; very few children. The ship is very clean and the staff is attentive but not overly engaging (as on Carnival).We are thinking about doing the Alaskan cruise next September and we would take Holland American again.. I know a lot of the Holland America reviews state the food leaves something to be desired but, apparently the food was good because I gained 5 pounds.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera