3. Coral Princess
I just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Coral Princess. The hightlites of the trip for me were the day trips to Panama Canal and Costa Rica. The first 4 days we had very bad weather and couldn't dock at Grand Cayman, so everyone was credited around $13 since the cruise line didn't have to pay port fees. I took the all day tour to Costa Rica's capital of San Jose. Although it was a long trip, the tour guide was great and we saw a lot. The trip to Old Panama City was interesting, but we took buses that were more like boy scout vans and very small and very uncomfortable and VERY bumpy. I will contact the cruise line about that. I traveled alone and loved the cruise. People were very friendly. Since it wasn't during school vacation, there were few kids on board, and a mostly older crowd. The ship has personal choice dining, but I went with the standard late seating. Coming from NY and have high standards, I would say the food was pretty decent. One nice thing that they offer is a lot of fresh vegetables all day and snack items before dinner if you want to relax and have a drink with some nibbles. The entertainment was very good. I didn't go to all the shows, but thought the dancers and singers were very professional. They had a comedian who was quite funny. My cabin steward, Emauel, was very good. He was always looking out for me, and one day when he didn't see me, he called my room to make sure I was okay and didn't need any medical attention. Coral Princess is very concerned about the Norwalk virus, which is a stomach flu. Anyone who had those symptoms was quarantined in their room for 24 hours. At the buffets they have hand sanitizer all over the place and request that all passengers use it. There are still some pretty ignorant people who put their hands in the food without using utensils. What nerve!!!! The crew on the ship were friendly and eager to please. They did a very good job of keeping the ship clean. My only negative comment was that they nickel and dime you to death with extras. They are very pushy with the pictures, and charge extra for every little thing. Someone at my table wanted chocolate milk and that was $1.50 extra. They charge for ice cream at the ice cream bar. However, at 3:30 every day they serve ice cream in the back of the dining room. It was almost like they were hiding it so if you didn't know it was there, you would pay for it at the ice cream bar. One day they advertised the special of the day which was a fruit shake.......then they charged $3.50 for them. If they would serve a little less food, they wouldn't have to charge for these extras. Internet service wasn't great and they charge .35c/minute. AOL service was horrible, but that could be AOL and not the ship's fault. The spa services were a bit pricey, but I thought the massage therapists on the ship were the best I have ever used. I had 4 massages in 10 days and would highly recommend Renalyn and Tiago. They were both excellent. The manicure was extremely pricey, and I didn't think the woman did such a great job. They have a very nice gym, but watch out for the 2 guys who teach Pilates. They both have attitudes as tall as they are. All in all it was an excellent vacation. I met wonderful people and relaxed, which is why I went.

Coral Princess - Central America/Panama Canal