My husband and I are in our late 40's/50's. We were looking for a quiet getaway - to read and relax and found it on the Zaandam. A small ship by new standards, but the best service from the cabin steward and dining staff that we have experienced in our 15 cruises. And by far, the best food. Of particular high quality were the beef entrees and the soups. I wasn't thrilled with the desserts other than bread pudding and banana's foster. As I said, the ship is small, and doesn't have all the amenities as the larger newer ships, but if you want a higher standard, a high quality passenger, a relaxing atmosphere then this will be great. If you are looking for party atmosphere, don't go here, as you will be disappointed. We still can't get over the quality of service. Everyone we encountered was absolutely top notch. I don't know how they do it, but my husband and I commented on it daily. The spa is a bit small - no inside whirlpool/spa, which I would have liked. Our room was Verandah deck 6, room 6207 and it was very nice. The sheets and towels were of very high quality, along with the carpeting, etc. We could not hear anyone from the other cabins. This is an older crowd, which was fine with us, as we said, they are well heeled, polite and quality people, unlike some of the rude crowds we have run into on the "fun" ships. There isn't a lot to do, in my opinion, which was just fine with us - we read, slept, sat on the deck by the pool and relaxed. There was the standard bingo, pool games, board games, etc. The casino is very small. We had the 8 p.m. seating, which was perfect - on the second level (desk 5), which I preferred - more intimate and quieter. We had a table for two which we requested. We ate at the Pinnacle Grill the first night, for $10 per person, instead of the $20 and I found no reason to go back. Nothing outstanding - the food in the dining room was equally as good for no extra $$. There were only 15 kids on board - yahoo. This was a plus, as we didn't want to be around kids. I would not recommend this ship at all for children. It was also nice that you didn't have to wear yourself out getting around the ship. Even though the ship is smaller, we were never crowded, and there were never lines for anything. Great! I can highly recommend the Zaandam. The ports of call were Tortola, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay, which were outstanding. In both Tortola and St. Thomas we rented private day sails, which really made our trip. After all, you have to spend time in the gorgeous water - heck I can shop at home! The water in Half Moon was even more beautiful - take advantage of the powderlike sand. Great ship if you want to relax in a quality atmosphere. The ship was spotless. Good luck.

Zaandam - Eastern Caribbean