3. Emerald Princess
We left Ft. Lauderdale Dec. 8, 2010. Embarkation was very quick and easy. We were there early, about noon. Our cabin was ready. We went to lunch at the buffet, of course, and it was quite nice. In fact, it was one of the best of the cruise. It was chilly, so no pool time. We walked around the ship, comparing it to the Ruby, which we sailed on last year. Very similar. THE STATEROOM: Plenty of storage in cabin and bathroom. Everything worked. Two chairs and a table on the balcony. The bed was terrible -- hard and lumpy. We couldn't sleep the first night. I complained to the purser and we got a brand new mattress, but it wasn't much of an improvement. I ached all over --shoulder, hip, back. After several days, I got an idea. I asked my cabin attendant to put one of the nice quilts under the sheet as a mattress pad. That really helped! Why don't they have the same mattresses as Holland America? Those are great! THE FOOD: Nothing to get excited about. It was all OK, like a neighborhood restaurant, but I didn't have one meal in 10 days that was memorable. We had anytime dining and that was a disaster! So many people signed up for early seating that part of the anytime dining room was taken away and you couldn't get seating until after 8pm without a wait of about half an hour or more. We had to get those buzzers that light up and find a place to sit in the Piazza and wait to be called. We never had that on any ship before. the service was spotty, with ne waiter we called Mr. Grumpy. Only one night was the service excellent. Never had this with Princess. The bread and rolls were excellent, as usual, as was the Love Boat Mousse and cheesecake. As for the lunch buffet, the best I can say is that it was adequate. Very boring. I couldn't even get gazpacho. The same pasta dishes day after day. No interesting or creative cold salads. Tiny sandwiches. Great cookies. The service at the buffet for lunch and breakfast was poor. The attendants spent most of their time in groups chatting and their beverage service was almost non-existant. You had to make an effort to get their attention. The frozen custard at Scoops was wonderful and the grill had great brats. The pizza varied in quality day to day. The hamburgers were pre-cooked and dry. ENTERTAINMENT: Some of it we'd seen before on other Princess cruises. Nothing special. Billy Vader, comedian, needs to retire. His jokes were older than we are. The other comedian was pretty good. The production numbers were average, not as good as those on Royal Caribb. Singers and dancers were good and energetic, but their material was tired. The cruise director has an annoying voice and attitude. He was not as good as his staff Pianists were good as were the other musicians. The cruise staff worked hard and were friendly and helpful. There were the usual shipboard activities, but they are getting really chintzy with the Trivia prizes. No prizes on port days? TOURS: We didn't do many as we've cruised these waters before. The Hot Springs trip in Dominica was great. I also enjoyed the spice tour in Grenada. The snorkeling tours were available on most islands and were very well done. DISEMBARKATION; Very efficient. The paper luggage tags do tear easily, in spite of what Princess says and one of our cases ended up in the unidentified area. Many cases ended up there. All in all, there is no such thing as a bad cruise but we feel that Princess is trying too hard to economize and it shows.

There's no such thing as a bad cruise, but...

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by simchabayla

The snorkeling tours were available on most islands and were very well done.

simchabayla’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB B219
B219 Plenty of storage. Lousy mattresses, nice bedding otherwise. Choice of pillows. Good location if you like to feel the motion of the ocean. Very clean and quiet.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins