3. Adventure of the Seas
Hi all cruisers...My review is extensive but realize this is just my second....I have lots of trips yet to review!Take this at face value and please, try this ship! Flight from Northern Va. to San Juan via Lauderdale on Spirit airlines smooth albeit a bit cramped. Off the plane quickly, found out we could leave our luggage for RCCI to take to the ship for free and headed quickly for the taxi kiosk...and a good thing we did! Took the taxi for 2 at 17.50 + tip to the pier BUT...if we hadn't had a good driver, we would never have made it! Two huge downfalls, one being that a festival for a hero, TITO, ie...Felix Trinidad the boxer had everything gridlocked...we still made it to the pier in short order...thank God no luggage, cause the baggage people went on strike and we stood in line for over 4 hours waiting and waiting with very close quarters and lots of local people who were taking the cruise at a greatly reduced rate jumping in front of the line....No food or water, limited toilets...What was worse was that many people were held on the ship due to the strike and missed their flights home....It is much easier to be coming than going on this cruise! We finally made it on the ship at 7pm which obviously was past our dinner seating....No free drinks or amenities for the extended wait....Many unhappy chappies! The ship itself is awe inspiring...HUGE and with so much to do...Actually, too much to do...a bit hard to relax! Plenty, if not too many lounge chairs, you had to move them to get your legs in and out. Lots of non English speaking people with large groups and lots of teens....But overall, never too crowded and for the most part people were respectful! We had a room on the inside 9th floor which was roomier that I expected with plenty of storage space! Elevators are everywhere, and although often crowded, people for the most part were humored by this and didn't get too nasty! In room first run movies, room service, and plenty of info on the trip are available which you need on a ship this large! Bathrooms, not in great locations outside your room, and obviously, some women don't do their business in their rooms...OHHH Weeeee...... Food was good, not great. This was our 2nd cruise and Celebrity was much better. I have to say that one of the best features was our Head Waiter, Rose. She went out of her way to remember our names and to offer recommendations and the extra smile...she was a joy! The Windjammer and Johnny Rockets were very good! If you take the early seating and don't want to miss the sunset, I suggest Johnny Rockets for a night! What I missed was the casual foods that the Celebrity offers at almost any time such as gourmet sandwiches, decent pizza and sushi...We enjoyed the earlier seating this time so we weren't so tired that we wanted to go to bed after dinner! Any night, don't be afraid to ask for a taste of another dish, such as a soup and an appetizer or two entrees...they can accommodate you without you having two huge plates! Celebrity offered an appetizer and soup with salad and then entree and dessert...just pick what you like the most and order! On the formal nights, don't be afraid to order more lobster and less beef...it is worth it!The midnight buffets are awesome, but if you take an excursion, wait until then to eat! I wonder who eats all of that food! Drinks were cheaper on Celebrity and the waiters and bar tenders were more friendly. Also, the prices seemed to fluctuate for the same drinks, which concerned me...but when you questioned, they didn't seem to understand! If you are given a special glass, take it..you are charged extra for the drink anyway...we saw little old ladies scarfing up gorgeous glasses because people didn't think they were theirs for the keeping! Shows etc...Make sure to get your tickets to the ice show immediately! We didn't and we missed a great show! We enjoyed the bingo game once and had to laugh at our own greed at wanting to win! The casino was great, my husband spent a bit of time trying his luck and found out when a female dealer came up, he needed to find another table! They caught him good! We were lucky enough to see Mickey Dolenz (from the Monkee's) and his sister perform...YES, I am aging myself but as a kid, they were the bomb! It was good nostalgia and his sister sang better than he did. We also saw the comedian who has a million impersonations and initially thought, HUM, but he had us rolling by the end of the evening! THE BEST PLACE FOR ENTERTAINMENT for us....THe Duck and Dog Pub...Unbeknown to us, the acoustic singer from our last cruise who we became friends with had changed ships and was on this ship as well! Needless to say, we spent part of each evening listening to him jam to great riffs...His name is Greg Guess and I encourage everyone to party with him at least one night! Ask for your favorite song as a request and don't be afraid to move the tables to dance! My husband was heralded by several women because he moved tables and even brought up the elder ladies to dance! Women who brought their husbands in got their special song and dance and were treated to some great blues, jazz, and even current music...even the line dancing people hung outside on the Promenade to dance to the music! Port's of Call: Aruba was beautiful...guys went fishing and girls slept in and shopped. To the side of the boat docking, a bit up and after a walking bridge is a beautiful promenade which is landscaped and during the day, lizards abound! I have a huge iguana at home so I loved it and couldn't get enough, but my best friend prefers them in a cage! We took the boys back in the evening, but as any good lizard owner knows, they sleep then! We went to Carlo's and Charlie's ....way too small and way too loud! I recommend Cozumel's way better! Curacao: Isn't much to look at but the shopping was the bomb! Got 2 Louis Vuitton Bags for cheaper than the internet, any any other island that was recommended...And they don't fill fake LV with cloth drawstring bags that are LV labeled instead of paper....80% off! St. Martin-did the local beach and got our chairs for 4 with 2 umbrellas and 4 drinks for 15.00...BARGAIN HARD...had to pay the 5.00 per person for the water taxi to island but it was for unlimited trips, too bad you only have 8 hours on the island! The locals bother quite a bit for assorted drugs and necklaces, but they are better than Mexico and stop after they pass you a few times! Is Marijuana really legal there? That's what we heard! The Dutch area is a bit populous. I would have preferred Orient Beach on the French side but it is more secluded but with much more nudity! Shopping is cheap, cigarettes and liquor at incredible prices! Would definitely look to do an all inclusive here! Beautiful island and water! St. Thomas --We went on the Doubloon excursion on a 65 foot yacht to snorkel on what I believe was Turtle cove...We saw huge sea turtles, squid, yellow snapper and a small nurse shark plus more...Beautiful excursion and on the way back, they don't lie...no one leaves sober! Banana Benders, Beer, etc...everyone gets fake tattoos, and lots of fun...even for the kids..very experienced snorkeling crew and for my friend that doesn't snorkel, they jumped in to get her a sand dollar and conch shell that she saw from 18 feet down! Billy Bob, the mate became her new best friend! definitely recommend this and this can be purchased on line through Doubloon.com. At the end of the excursion, they take you to their shop on the dock and you can look at the merchandise and drink more free drinks as you shop the rest of the afternoon if you go back! They take your pictures on the boat and download for free so you don't have to pay like on most excursions! Already looking for an all inclusive here! Disembarkation --Stay with your party! Our friends felt the need to be at the appropriate place at way too early and ended up off the boat at 0830 while we tried not to get off the boat until closer to our plane time...We had packed our radios...not good...not pleasant when they sat in the pier port while we were able to have breakfast and all the people told us to ignore the disembarkation news....you can stay on the boat way longer than what most people thought, and still drink coffee or alcohol and hang out rather than sit at the airport for what is a very long afternoon flight wait! Overall, this was a wonderful trip! I would easily recommend but my one wish is that the trip originated and returned from Florida and not San Juan...I have a friend who is an MD who comes from San Juan and says that Old San Juan is the place to stay the eve before the cruise and make sure you see the fort! I tried to get the old man (43yo) to do this but....more expense huh.... I guess it is always just a matter of chance from anywhere! Thanks for letting us tell about our trip!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Mark and Michele Fenter

Port's of Call:
Thanks for letting us tell about our trip!
Mark and Michele Fenter’s Full Rating Summary