Majestic Princess Cruise Review by JimmyC357
- Sail Date: December 2019
- Destination: Australia & New Zealand
- Cabin Type: Interior
First impressions was this ship is huge.. and it is.. But at the same time it never really felt too full even though there was 4100 passengers. The only exceptions were the theatre and buffet at peak times.
* Room staff - friendly, love a chat and very good at what they do. 100% rating here!
* Dining room food and experience - used anytime dining and never waited longer than 5 or so minutes for a table. Once in there the quality and choice was great! Menu always changing and plenty of options. Even for my vegetarian wife.
* Room - inside cabin. Plenty of cardboard space and very comfy beds and pillows.
* Hollywood adults only area - Great place to chill out and apart from the day in the fiords always had chairs available. Must admit it didn’t seem like a cruise full of kids though - unlike Carnvial last Xmas.
* Room service - only really used for Breakfast and there was no charge. It was always on time and always hot!
* excursions - never went on any organised via the ship. Found plenty to do onshore ourselves.
* Port stops - ship always on time and easy on and off. Only had 1 tender port at Akaroa and even that was well organised.
* Condition of the ship - very good! And so it should be as it is only 3 years old.. there was always crew making sure the high standards were kept up.
Not so good points:
* Theatre too small for the more popular shows - need to be there 1/2 before. Some shows they even had to have a 3rd viewing the day after in the middle of the day.
* Buffet - although quality of meats and pastries was great the buffet itself lacks variety.. got a bit boring so we avoided in the end.
* Organised activities onboard during sea days were very limited and average compared to other cruises we have been on. And the weird thing was so many were ‘unhosted’ by princess staff.. it was turn up and organise yourself. Hosted things were quizzes and dance classes and odd games that were held sometimes in odd places on the ship as there really weren’t many places that they could hold them.
* Piazza - the place were most things happen on the ship. So busy and only limited seating even though it is 3 levels high.. the only real place on the ship to dance and very limited space.
Drinks - beers approx from AU$8 and cocktails from AU$11. Drinks package was AU$86 per day but we didn’t have. Coffee AU$4 each of coffee card AU$38 for 15 coffees.. barista coffee quality hit and miss depending on who makes it - there are about 5 options for where to get barista on the ship.
Room Service - limited menu but it is all free unless ordering pizza where there is a AU$3 charge.
Pay Extra restaurants - unusually didn’t try these this time so can’t comment. We were more than happy with main dining room food.
BYO - not well advertised but you can take your own soft drink cans (soda) onboard and also 1 bottle of wine per adult with no charge. Just make sure you carry them on and don’t put in suitcase as it will delay you luggage arrival to your room.
Internet - 12 night cruise - social plan was AU$99 limited to 300MB per day - premium was AU$150 500MB per day - ultra premium was AU$199 700MB per day. Internet generally quite slow especially on sea days when everyone was using. Can share plan between devices but only one can use at once.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
AkaroaCan spend a number of hours walking around - plenty to seeView All 182 Akaroa Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Akaroa Cruise Port Review
DunedinMuseum has some cool exhibits. Botanical gardens average. Lime scooters fun. Flat CBD so easy to walk.View All 322 Dunedin Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Dunedin Cruise Port Review
HobartThere on a Saturday so market was all go.View All 175 Hobart Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Hobart Cruise Port Review
MelbourneBeen there before. Smog from fires was really bad and stings eyes :(View All 230 Melbourne Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Melbourne Cruise Port Review
TaurangaNice spot. Nice beach and nice town centre.View All 281 Tauranga Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Tauranga Cruise Port Review