3. Costa Luminosa
Well, we chose this cruise because it was listed as $590, which sounds like a good deal, especially over new years. This was a huge mistake. Speaking exclusively to the price, yes it was $590 initially, but then you can expect a service charge of 12.50 per day, per person charged to your cruise card. So really, not $590. Not to mention, everything on this ship is paid. Pizza, ice cream, deserts etc. You can expect to incur a whole boat load of inexplicable charges on your card. I received a print out of my charges the evening before I got off the boat, and somehow I still incurred an additional $40 worth of charges the very next day (when i was pushed off the ship by 9am). I call the cruise line, no option for english, and the service person says that I have to email the cruise line because he doesn't have access to that information. I told him not a chance, since i have no confidence that I will even receive a response-- then suddenly he has access. Still, nothing he can do. About the cruise: Food: the food on this boat is atrocious. I'm not even the sort of person who goes on cruises for food, its not high on my priority list whatsoever. But the buffet is exclusively rice, pasta and deli meats-- and it is the exact same at every station every single day. There was so variation and the food that was available, was barely even edible and only available for a few hours a day. EVERYTHING on this boat, closes before midnight, you cannot find anything to eat after midnight. Not to mention, the beverage stations, are consistently closed . You might find one open station in the middle of lunch-- and here's the best part, there is never any ice whatsoever. At the single open beverage station, you can receive warm water, (sometimes) coffee and tea. I resided on this boat for 8 days and did not have one ice cube-- and not a single staff member cared. To make matters worse, this cruise ship does not have sufficient AC. You can expect an 80 degree climate in the buffet area, but yes they still have the gull to tell the ladies to cover up. In addition, the pizza (which they pride themselves on apparently) is cheeseless, topping less, saucey dough, Truly the most disgusting pizza ive ever had-- the good pizza is apparently only available for pay (12.50). My family and I consistently dined in the dining room for diner. This is always such a pleasant experience, on other boats the servers and assistants were truly the most amazing service workers. That was not the case here, and I'll get into the staff shortly but sufficed to say that our server was inattentive, explicitly rude (can i have another salad? Maybe after your pasta), lacking knowledge on the menu and unwilling to accommodate. He never had answers to our questions regarding the menu, he regularly forgot items, and not once did he offer coffee. He would serve melted ice cream after approximately 40 minutes of waiting, and then upon our request for coffee, would just disappear. So bizarre. But beyond that, we were given one bottle of water for a table of 5, and the server was evidently reluctant to get us more. As per the food, well. On new years eve, the feature item was a hot dog with shrimp fried rice. On the final night, a burger with like 6 fries. The food was truly disgusting and inedible. The salads regularly came undressed, and with perhaps 5 leaves of lettuce. The fried mozzarella was 90% fried dough and a little taste of mozzarella. The pastrami on rye had only one slice of meat on it, and a whole boatload of sauerkraut. Its sufficient to say that every available corner was cut to save a dollar. Hotel: The hotel element to this boat was especially bad. I have never been on a ship where your room only gets turned down once a day. Not a big deal, just very odd. Our cabin steward was so kind and so lovely to us though, so we never said anything. My parents room however, lacked air conditioning and apparently plumbing. Almost everyday their toilet would get backed up and it would take hours to fix. And it wasn't until day 7 that the air-conditioning was fixed. The plumbing issue though, was consistent among the entire ship. Other guests were constantly complaining that their toilet wouldn't flush, and finding an open restroom (that wasn't under maintenance) proved very difficult. They were always closed and when they were open, had a god awful smell. This was odd since it was a relatively new ship. As for the hotel management, I'm at a loss. It took them 45 minutes to deliver a corkscrew to my room, and the line to speak with them was always long due to the lack of people behind the counter. There was always only two service workers, even on the first and last night. You are given one set of towels and that is your towel for the whole cruise, you will never find towels throughout this boat, not by the pool etc. Side point, I know people on this boat who contracted BED BUGS and were afterward CHARGED for the doctor visit to confirm such. Service: I hate to talk poorly about service on this boat, because if guests were treated thus poorly, i can only imagine how the workers are treated. They were all visibly unhappy, unpleasant and overworked. At any bar, at any given time of day, there would only be one bartender. In the casino at night, by the pool on a day at sea, there was only ever one bartender. You can imagine how difficult it was to get a drink. i actually saved money because i could never get service. On other boats, there are servers walking around at all times, by the pool, in the casino, wherever, kindly asking to get you a drink. Not on this boat. To receive any beverage, even a beverage that you may have prepaid for via drink package, would take at least 30 minutes to receive and the workers refused to serve two at a time. As for the entertainment staff, i always enjoy the cruise directors. They always have such a personality and charisma about them, i truly enjoy them. Our cruise director Luigi, was a complete moron. He was arrogant, annoying, and in the one conversation I had with him, he was so rude. I cringed listening to this guy. Also, because this is an Italian line, you can expect that every single announcement will be made first in Italian, german, english then dutch. Even on game shows, everything was said 4 times in 4 different languages. it took forever. Entertainment: I have never been on a cruise with so little entertainment. They had nightly shows which were fine. The dancers and acrobats were brilliant, but almost all the music is in Italian. We had the pleasure of being aboard on new years eve, which is something that we have done for the last 5 years or so. Typically, this is a grand experience that we just live for. This experience wasnt that. On this boat, there are 2 pools, one at the back of the boat which received sunlight, and one in the middle that remained covered by the piece that typically only comes out during rainy conditions,. Not the case here, that cover remained on the entire cruise, creating a hot, sticky and germ infested pool side area. Meaning that everyone concentrated in the other pool area-- very busy. Anyhoo, on new years there was only 1 party (on other boats there's usually 2/3 so the spaces aren't so busy) and yes, it was in the area that was enclosed. Well that was a hot treat. Between 10-11 the music was English and recognizable, between 11-11:55 there was only italian music. Not one song that was sung in English. This still wasn't enough to deter us. What did it for us, was that at 11:55 instead of doing a grand countdown and playing music, THEY BROUGHT OUT THE CAPTAIN. A whole 20 minute ode to the captain had to occur right at midnight. It was pompous, pretentious and in bad taste. Many of us were shouting for music or entertainment, but there stood the captain, waving like a queen no one cares about. So gross. Beyond that, there was little to no entertainment. We usually enjoy a poolside line dance, or hairy chest competition, or some type of game. None of that happened. I saw a mr. costa competition in the lounge one night that was explicitly racist and uncomfortable to watch. My brother and I are on the young side, and always look forward to dancing and going to the clubs and bars. The club was actually the location of the teen club, so there was nowhere for adults to enjoy nightlife and after around 10pm, the boat was a ghost ship with no entertainment or food available. Ship: The ship itself was beautiful, we've been on one of the sister ships and it was basically identical. Aside from the lack of AC and plumbing, the ship did not disappoint. Ports: The ports were incredible, and the embarkation process was easy and quick. All in all, I have been on upwards of 20 cruises. I recommend them to whomever will listen and I consistently enjoy cruising no matter what the cruise line. That was not the case for the cruise. I was consistently disappointed with every element of this cruise. Rather every element that the management team had jurisdiction over. They spared every available cost and ensured that each guest spent as much as they could possibly mandate. I would never cruise with costa again and i recommend that everyone avoid this line, no matter how cheap it may seem.

Stay far away-- cheapest cruise line ever

Costa Luminosa Cruise Review by autumnweninger