3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary with our family, which consisted of our adult children, my sister-in-law, and mother-in-law. We flew into Miami the day before departure, however we got in too late to really do any exploration of the city. About 8 weeks prior to our departure, my sister-in-law broke her ankle which rendered her unable to bear any weight on her foot. She had a knee scooter and also decided to rent a wheelchair while on the cruise. We arrived at the port terminal around noon, and due to my sister-in-laws condition we were quickly escorted to a special line for those with disabilities. From that moment on, the cruise staff assisted with pushing her wheelchair throughout check-in until we were safely aboard ship. We did observe during check-in that the crew was running what we assumed was intranet wire from the ship to the terminal, however we did not experience any delays and we were onboard the ship sometime around 1:00 pm. Not everyone was so lucky, as we later learned problems insued delaying the check-in process for many that day. The ship was beautiful, and clean. The crew was always present busily cleaning, attending to the ship, collecting dishes from the buffet, pool areas, waterfront. In addition the staff provided drink services in the pool area, theatres, lounges, and waterfront. They were also super helpful to my sister-in-law in assisting with her especially as she tried to gather her food in the buffet. We enjoyed our meals in the buffet, Taste, Savor, Cagney's, O'Sheean's, Teppykanni, & the Noodle bar. There is so much to do onboard the ship, I was a little worried as this was the largest ship we have ever been on, but getting around, and finding what you were looking for was very easy. For those in wheelchairs, knee scooters, or with walkers, and or canes the ship is easily navigated and had plenty of accessible public restrooms. Unfortunately, most problems that those with disabilities will encounter will involve that of fellow passengers as I observed numerous occasions in which able walking people will rush to crowd elevators ahead of said person who is physically incapable of using the stairs. So keep that in mind especially during high traffic times, and allow for extra time to get where you need. I watched both Rock of Ages, and Burn the Floor and enjoyed both shows immensely. I did make reservations for both these shows prior to departure. My sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and daughter also saw Wine Lovers the Musical and they all recommend it! We also saw the Comedy show, listened to music at Syd Normans, in The Atrium, and at Shakers Martini Bar. All were exceptional. We spent time lounging, drinking, and hanging out on the Waterfront on deck 8 both during the day and at night and it was just so pleasurable. Myself, daughter, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law enjoyed some massages in the Mandarin Spa and found the experience to be exhilarating for body, mind, and soul. Of course some up selling is to be expected, but in my experience it was done very respectfully and was not at all pushy or forceful. Our visit to SanJuan, Puerto Rico was just a leisurely stroll near the waterfront as the steep hills, and cobblestone was not walking friendly for pushing someone in a wheelchair. We enjoyed some local cuisine, drinks, and some local vendors who had tents near the cruise port. In StThomas, USVI we choose the NCL shore excursion on the KON TIKI boat, as we thought this would be an accessible tour. There were a few steps to get into the boat, and my sister-in-law was totally unable to bear any weight on her foot as she had surgery just 4 weeks prior. However the crew of this boat went above and beyond in assisting so that she was able to get on the boat. This was our best excursion, the boat ride was informative, lively, and fun!! The beach was incredible. The only bad thing was that it ended, as I wish I was still relaxing in the warm calm waters, or sipping rum punch while listening to music, or dancing with the engaging crew! The next day was Tortola, BVI and because of my sister-in-law's unexpected injury we chose not to elect any excursions in that port. We walked around briefly, stopped in some of the Shops in the port at Road Town, and headed back aboard the ship. In Nassau, Bahamas we choose the NCL excursion to Balmoral Island as we were told this was the best excursion for guests with wheelchairs. Once again, stepping down into a boat for a person who cannot bear any weight is tricky at best but the crew were again phenomenal in offering aide to get her aboard the ship. On this tour, we were actually able to get her on the beach and in a lounge chair. There was a gift shop, bar, and restaurant that were all on a path that was accessible for those in a wheelchair. In addition to the beach, there was a pool available for use as well. Disembarking was conducted in a separate area for those who were confined to a wheelchair or required special assistance. Once again, we were accompanied by a crew member from the ship to the port terminal, and although of course we waited, overall the experience was pleasurable. If any NCL representative is reading this, one suggestion would be to have coffee & hot water carafes available in the waiting areas on disembarkation day as that would be a super nice touch. Overall I was extremely happy with our experience, and most certainly any experience that was negative (which were very few) was the direct result of inconsiderate, or rude behaviour by guests which is certainly not something that the cruise line or it's staff can control at every conceivable moment. I will definitely be sailing again soon with NCL!

Fabulous Cruise

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by KAGeorge

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

I will definitely be sailing again soon with NCL!
KAGeorge’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA
Our cabin was very nice, with plenty of storage room for the two of us. I must admit, I definitely overpacked, and still had plenty of room. I found the bed and bedding comfortable, and the room temperature was perfect.
Balcony is perfect for a couple. Our cabin steward cleaned our room twice each day and was very friendly and helpful.
We thought the bathroom was super spacious, loved the shower jets, double sink, and NEVER once had an issue with the toilet not flushing.
I choose to use the shampoo & bodywash that was provided by NCL so I didn't have to pack any since we were flying.
My hubby and I do not have sensitive skin, or special hair care needs, so it was fine. However, if you have special requirements for skin or hair, or enjoying lots of foaming and bubbles you may want to pack your own.
There were no towel animals, which I admit I would have enjoyed, but it wasn't a deal breaker as the room cleanliness plus service from our room stewards was exceptional and that more than made up for the lack of towel animals.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins