3. Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit - “Iceland and Mystical Fjords “ - Sept 2019. Accompanied by my wife and son. We booked this cruise mostly because of Iceland (never been), but was also pleased to hopefully re-visit Norway, Amsterdam, and Ireland. With all the changes and cancellations we were certainly disappointed and frustrated, but honestly I can’t fault the crew nor the ship. The news articles were errant and misleading. There were a few times when the toilets didn’t flush instantly, but the problem was soon rectified. I do understand that a few cabins did have bigger plumbing issues - again, older ship. Food spoilage ? No bananas in the final days, and I heard someone complain about running out of lobster. (really)! The weather was the major factor , over which no one has control. The biggest problem seemed to be the lack of communication from the bridge staff , leading to confusion, and hence the dissatisfaction and protests of a small percentage of passengers. Personally, I was embarrassed to witness the behaviors of some of the disgruntled guests, as most passengers we spoke to were seasoned cruisers and understood that “weather happens “. The ship itself is a smaller, older vessel, but we knew that going in. Since this was supposed to be a port intensive cruise, it was the itinerary , not the accommodations , that was the major draw. I personally found the ship to be clean and well maintained in spite of it’s age, and the crew, for the most part, friendly and eager to please. Dining - I found the quality of the MDR and buffet to be acceptable, the specialty restaurants were all good.The buffet was adequate but often crowded, and while there is ample outside seating, this was disallowed by the weather . My son has specific food allergies, and the dining staff went well out of their way to accommodate his needs. Very impressed there ! Entertainment - The shows were good for the most part , with a variety of energetic and enthusiastic performers. However, the stage lighting could use some help, and each and every show was overdone with the “smoke machine “. (Why constantly obscure the performers )? Cabin - typical balcony room, comparable to most other ships. Public areas - again - typical, but many outside venues closed due to weather. Activities - Bingo, trivia, etc. not that much to do on the extra sea days , but when you complain to others that you were stuck on a cruise ship with nothing to do but eat, drink, and sleep, you elicit little compassion. Would I recommend NCL or sail with them again ? Probably not. Just seemed too disorganized and left a bad taste overall, the 25% discount on full price just won’t do. Our next cruise will be on Holland, Princess, or Celebrity.

Iceland and Mystical Fjords

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by richvon

Cabin - typical balcony room, comparable to most other ships.

Public areas - again - typical, but many outside venues closed due to weather.

richvon’s Full Rating Summary