Carnival Pride Cruise Review

Carnival Pride Cruise Review by marylandfan20794

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Chose this cruise because the port is 20 minutes from home. Been on many cruises and this was the 3rd time on the pride. It will be our last.

The ship needs to be placed in dry dock for a complete refurbish. Many areas are rundown and rusty. Windows are filthy. On other ships, I would see crew cleaning external areas while we were in port. Never saw this on the pride.

The food has gone downhill as far as free food in the dining room and buffet are concerned. The most edible free food are the guys burgers that closes at 6pm and blue iguana cantina that closes at 2. In the dining room, hot food is never hot. Dinner in the buffet is very limited and lukewarm. I wonder if this is a health code violation??? They have the same side dishes every night on the pride in the buffet.

While passenger behavior and lack of class or decorum is not in Carnival’s control, the ship could do a better job in dealing with it by making sure staff nearby know to call security before things escalate. I personally witnessed two ladies get into an altercation at the omelette station. They were close to getting into a physical fight but the other lady walked away after arguing very loudly for at least 5 minutes. I was about to go for security myself because the staff just stood there. I was in the serenity area where a woman was yelling all sorts of profanity at her husband. Everyone in the area at the time could here this. I felt bad for the guy but the calm, nonchalant way he responded indicated he was used to it. Very sad. The wife was tacky in behavior and appearance. Security was called on a woman during the comedy show because she would not stop criticizing the comic for saying profanity used for females. He tried to deal with it and even apologized but she would not shut up. It was an R rated show so best to stay out if easily offended. Better to use foul language at the comedy show than on the serenity deck as I witnessed.

No one used the hand sanitizers except me before getting food at the buffet and no staff asked them. There were long lines of people and no one else used the sanitizers while I was in line. I kept my own hand sanitizer wipes with me and used them on my hands before I ate. I witnessed an elderly couple grab cookies off the buffet using their bare hands because that station was not open yet and the tongs were not set up. They, of course, touched all of the cookies as they reached in. I said something and the dessert attendant removed the cookies. You would think a couple looking to be in their 80s would know better. Given issues with norovirus and other ship bacteria, keep your own sanitizers and do what you can to protect yourself. These are just a few examples. I could go on. The behavior spanned across all ages, races, and ethnicities from what I witnessed. It was a rainbow coalition of poorly behaved and tacky people and not about one particular group of people.

On a positive note, our room attendants were nice. Everything was clean except for the refrigerator. The cruise director Dr. E was hilarious. The best cruise director I have had in the 15 cruises I have been on. Servers were good to us.

Been to all of the ports before and did not do anything but relax. No excursions. They did a good job of cleaning up the port in Freeport but there are still signs of the storm as one of the restaurant buildings is still closed. The only excursions available were by the ship. We were not interested in shopping or going to the beach in Freeport.

We would rather fly to another port than get back on the Pride.

marylandfan20794's Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin 4C 6104

Cabin was old and worn. The refrigerator was old and appeared dirty. We did not use it. Was at the front of the ship. Was noisy when we arrived in port because there were loud, vibrating sounds like the anchor would drop from that area.

Freeport

The port is not fully operational. Will be months before they rebuild

Princess Cays

Beautiful beach but not much we wanted to do but relax

marylandfan20794