3. Norwegian Jewel
I chose this cruise partly because it conveniently started in my home town, Vancouver, and ended up in my bud's town, LA. We try to take a trip every year someplace together, and I had never been on a cruise before. The price seemed reasonable, so we booked it. Ports visited: Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey, LA. We were both very happy with this cruise experience. We loved our very comfortable upgraded cabin, Obstructed Oceanview, with wood panelling and lots of storage space. We liked most of the restaurants, particularly Tsar's Palace, and Azura. However, I found Chin Chin to be very ho hum. Being from Vancouver, there is a high bar for Asian food, though. We did tend to spend a fair bit of time hanging out in the large buffet style Garden Cafe on the 12th Deck, since it was convenient, had nice views, was attached to the aft deck area, and a LARGE variety of food for every mealtime, as well as sublime desserts. (and a good espresso machine) I must say the crew on-board was very friendly and attentive: the real jewels here! Smooth embarkation, disembarkation and customs experience. The entertainment greatly exceeded our expectations. We took in Dinner and a Show every night, which was a real treat. The performers on the shows, Velvet, Rock You Tonight, Cirque de Bijou, were outstanding singers and dancers. I wanted to find out who the stars in this cast were, but there is no info on the NCL site. Also Russians Vlad and Anna, classically trained dancers and acrobats, blew us away. Entertainment in the lounges was also quite enjoyable. We became Aldo fans after his Latin hits performance. I had bought a new bathing suit just for this cruise, so I HAD to check out the poolside for a day. Fortunately we had mostly nice sunny days and up on the 12th deck pool and hot tub area I have to admit it was quite glorious. I was able to spend some time working out in the well equipped fitness centre, and there are places on deck to walk and jog if you need to work off your overindulgence at the restaurants. We were fortunate we had good weather for our 2 excursions onshore and both were very good. I particularly liked the Dim Sum and tour in San Francisco. We brunched at the New Asia in Chinatown, which when I remarked to some of my table mates that it was very "authentic" and "funky", were less than kind about the atmosphere/decor: they did not seem to appreciate its "authenticity". The Dim Sum though was scrumptious, and I myself had no complaints! Overall, we loved this cruise, and will do it again if the price is right.

Outstanding west coast trip with great food and entertainment

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Sthoedel

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

Ports visited: Vancouver, Victoria, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey, LA.

Smooth embarkation, disembarkation and customs experience.

Overall, we loved this cruise, and will do it again if the price is right.
Sthoedel’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Obstructed Oceanview
Cabin OK
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    I particularly liked the Dim Sum and tour in San Francisco. We saw some interesting landmarks in San Francisco, including the Golden Gate Bridge, and were able to catch a bit of the air show since it was Fleet Week. We brunched at the New Asia in Chinatown, which when I remarked to some of my table mates that it was very "authentic" and "funky" were less than kind about the atmosphere/decor: they did not seem to appreciate its "authenticity". The Dim Sum though was scrumptious, and I myself had no complaints!
    Overall a really great tour of the best of San Fran, and makes me want to return for a longer stay.
    View All 30 City Tour Reviews
  • Victoria
    We really enjoyed this tour in the Cowichan Valley wine region. Fortunately the weather was good once we got out of Victoria! I was curious about the area, so this seemed to be a good way to get a sense of whether I wanted to return for a short vacation. Short answer: yes.
    We toured 2 wineries and one cidery. We sampled wine from Enrico and Unsworth Wineries. At Unsworth, they showed us the underbelly of their operations, which was very interesting. The wine sampling was a good experience and the countryside was lovely for photo taking. Merridale Cidery & Distillery was also a great experience: we were introduced to some great organic cider and spirits. Apparently they also have accommodations, and would definitely consider it, being very bucolic!
    Note to the wise: take it easy mixing all these products as you could end up with a headache or worse.
    The only thing that was a problem with this tour was they did not have time to stop for a bite to eat, so we were very hungry and also consuming booze on an empty stomach, which is not a good idea.
    Overall we enjoyed this tour.
    View All 13,277 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews