Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by trivimp

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

100% enjoyed this cruise, which was a repositioning cruise at the end of the Alaska season. I booked it as a whim, but it ended up being one of my favorite experiences to date.

The Jewel is just the right size for me as a solo traveler: not so huge that you get lost for days. She looks beautiful after her recent drydock & everything was spic and span. Jewel also boasts one of the friendliest & most awesome crews at sea.

I had an obstructed oceanview cabin, which was plenty of room for me. The location was mostly quiet, but I would occasionally be surprised by a worker right outside my window doing maintenance on the lifeboat. Oops, sorry about leaving the curtain open that one time.

Service from the cabin steward was unobtrusive to the point of being invisible... he never introduced himself, but I assumed the guy who was greeting me by name in the hallway was my steward. The room was always made up or turned down when I returned from wherever had been, though.

Service everywhere else was excellent -- friendly bartenders & great staff in the dining venues. I also met up with the solo cruiser's social group, which met every night prior to dinner time. Brenda, the solo coordinator, was a BIG part of the reason this cruise was so awesome. She really helped bring a fun group together & made it easy to find a friend to have dinner with, hang out at a show, or whatever.

The food was about the same as other NCL cruises I've done: pretty good, not awesome. The menus aren't particularly adventurous. I mostly stayed away from the MDRs, because I find them a little lackluster, and stuck to specialty dining or the Asian venue. The sushi was particularly good!

Entertainment was uniformly excellent. Jewel, as a smaller NCL ship, doesn't have the big Broadway-style shows... instead it has several song-and-dance revues, which I loved. Le Cirque Bijou was amazing.

The weather wasn't particularly conducive to sunning by the pool... so I don't think I was on the pool deck all week. A few hardy souls tried the hot tubs, but for the most part it was empty! Would have been different in sunnier climes, I'm sure.

Overall, a very relaxing & enjoyable cruise on a lovely ship.

trivimp's Full Rating Summary

Obstructed Oceanview

This is one of the sideways oceanviews, which made it seem a little roomier, with the bed at a right angle to the window & the bathroom to the side. I'd book a sideways over a regular oceanview again, in a minute. Lots of storage. Everything worked perfectly.

Motorcoach Tour

Hop on/hop off tour was a good way to get a taste of the city... we had a good guide with a goofy sense of humor.

View All 12 Motorcoach Tour Reviews
Monterey Aquarium

Aquarium was pretty cool. It took us forever to get in, though, it was fairly disorganized.

View All 7 Monterey Aquarium Reviews
Astoria, Oregon

Did a ship's excursion of the Flavel House, which was well-run and interesting. Our docent told excellent stories & made the history come alive.

trivimp