3. Norwegian Sun
As a regular cruiser we have sailed on several ships in Royal, Carnival, and Norwegian. So this is not only a comparison to other companies but even within the same fleet. So let's begin with the ship. The Sun is an older ship, so we knew it would not have all the activities as the newer larger ships, but did not expect was certain parts of the ship including our room had a consistent smell of sewage. This was prevalent from the moment we stepped in on level 5 through our current sailing as I write this on to New Orleans due to the hurricane. More on that later. State rooms, again in addition to the smell, they are so understaffed that they don't even make the towel animals. Now this is not a big deal, but there are no details on anything. You are getting the bare-bones basics, don't expect anything else. Furthermore, beach towels, we had to constantly ask for them, our porter would not leave any in our room though we got an initial set and instructed to leave in our bathroom the dirty ones to get new ones. Restaurants, on this cruise we planned to just eat with included location as we have sailed and enjoyed the other options. Let me say bad choice... the food is blah at best. Most meals were tasteless, the soups tasted like they came from a can. The buffet food was just to fill you up, but not flavorful. In the Seven Seas dining room we did have an amazing waiter which we ensured to have every evening Lief James is amazing and went out of his way to give amazing service. He learned our wine preference and would just asked if we wanted our usual. But the food overall was okay, the best thing we had was the honey creme brulee but most of the other meals were just okay at best. Sports Bar, in most other shops the sports bar run 24/7 but not on the Sun, you gotta wait till 5:30pm. It does stay open till 5:30am, but if you want wings for lunch, tough luck. Bars, are okay. They really liquor up the drinks. But about half the bar staff are so rude, especially in the pool area. There was one Peruvian bartender who was funny and very nice to everyone but can't say the same about the rest of the pool bar staff. Activities, though their shows in the theatre were great, the rest of the ship activities are lacking. So the Cruise Director was MIA most of the time, had the personality of a shoe and shouldn't be directing activities at a daycare, little less a cruise ship. I spoke to many of the bands on board as they were pretty good, but it seemed their schedules were off, when I asked this director was new and changed it, so rather than having their top dance/party band playing the club to get people dancing, they would have them play an acoustic set in the atrium. Now about our storm experience... We were on another NCL ship when hurricane Maria went to South Florida and though a stressful experience, the ships staff on the Sky were amazing about getting information out... On this ship it has been a super horrible experience, each staff member you ask, you get different information. The Capt and Cruise Dir have been putting out bits of information and leaving much to speculation and creating havoc. Even worse, we were not allowed to cancel our cruise beforehand, only went to Cozumel though part of our charges included port charges for 3 ports, and no mention of credits or discounts on future cruises, which had been done previously. This specific part is on NCL and not the ship. As I mentioned before, my family and I have taken at least 6 other cruises on both NCL and other lines, this is the worst yet. If you are set to go on the Sun, I highly recommend recommend going on another ship.

Not Worth It!

Alasl01’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OA 8005
Read above, it stunk of sewage.
Fjord Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins