3. Carnival Magic
My husband and I cruised royal Caribbean in the past and after finding their staff rude and condescending Carnival seemed like the logical choice when we were looking for a cruise line to take our kids on for our family vacation. So first let down was during embarkation, going through security my husband who is a former active marine gets stopped because he has an hollow bullet bottle opener on his keys. A gift I bought him because it was a bullet fired in Iraq during a former tour that had been custom made. Keep in mind this is hollow with a tip so dull even if it was fired it would bounce off its Target. I might be able to overlook this if we had not made it through security with a wine bottle opener that not only had a stainless steel corkscrew on it but also a 2 inch straight blade. So please tell me what the more dangerous thing ? So thanks for the appreciation for your veterans service. The towel policy is completely assanine , while most ships have crates of white towels for you to take from, Carnival makes you sign out every towel you take with your folio number , which is yet another 4 digit number for you to remember on top of your room number. AND ! If you are in a room that is ajoined to another room don't think you can check out and return towels to your ajoining room account where say your husband and 2 kids are assigned , no no no , your folio number only , doesn't matter your one big happy family , keep track of everything you sign out or prepare to be harrassed . But THE CHERRY ON TOP of everything had to be ..... Carnival makes it super nice and convenient to pre pay for things. Which we did with everything we possibly could ! Paid for the rooms in full ... Obviously that's required but we also paid our gratuities in full , paid for our excursions in full , all 4 of our kids bubbles packages as well as my husband's cheers package . We also placed a $15 limit on each of our children's sign and sail cards to visit the arcade or the candy shop or whatever they chose to do while enjoying their time on the ship. So the kids go to the arcade and spend their money and two days later my husband and I go to the arcade with them to play and everyone's cards are declined , so we proceed to guest services to see what's going on and much to our surprise our children have racked up somewhere around $600 worth of an arcade tab. So we ask what happened to the $15 limits and carnivals guest service response ? Why didn't you come to the service counter to verify the limits were properly set on the first day on board ? Well I don't know , how about the fact that the first 2 days on board the line for guest services was 2 miles long wrapping around the boat with a 2 hour minimum wait . And considering I took care of everything BEFORE I got on the boat my idea of vacation is not starting it off verifying that you did your job ! Everything else was taken care of , we had the tickets for our excursions , our kids were able to get their hearts desire of soda and my husband his fill of alcohol why would this not also be taken care of ? So what else did Carnival do or say ? Nothing and we got stuck with a $600 arcade bill , a pretty hearty mistake for us to have to cover , so thanks for that treat Carnival. The one good thing I have to say is about the dining team. We had a crew from the Philippines, the primary guy serving us was GERENE and he is fantastic ! Day 1 he had our kids drinks memorized as well as my husband's preferred drink beverage. He was always on top of everything , interacted with our kids so well , catered to our picky eater without batting an eye and knew everyone's names at the table by the second night. Truly the only people on board that made the cruise enjoyable and worth the money we spent. In the end I would rather pay Royal more money to have rude service people who do their jobs than pay carnival to have them completely fall short of impressive customer service or even mediocre service .

Oh Carnival we had such high hopes

Carnival Magic Cruise Review by S.sturgill