3. Norwegian Breakaway
There were nine of us including four adults and five children. We chose this cruise primarily for the enjoyment of the youngsters. We visited ports in the Western Caribbean. My wife and I are very experienced, having been on about 125 cruises, each, over the years. I mention this so that a reader will understand that we have a firm foundation upon which to rate the quality of the Breakaway. Both my wife and I rate the Breakaway as possibly the worst experience that we have had in decades of travel. I could go on and on with negative comments but I'd probably run out of space. Here's a few examples. While the crew was pleasant, it was clear they were not trained well and supervision was lacking. We ate in three or four different restaurants and, without exception, service was slow, very slow. We rate the food as "average", at best. For example, at breakfast, there were no blueberries or strawberries unless you asked. If available, there was about a 15 minute wait for them to appear. Every other ship we have been on had a "lobster night". Not so with a Breakaway. My wife and I enjoy salmon fillet as part of our dinner and with the exception of two evenings, it did not appear on the menu. Perhaps the most irritating thing was the overpowering feeling of being "nickeled and dimed" to death. The most disturbing example was when we visited the "private island" . Other cruise lines universally include basic beverages and lunch. Not so with the breakaway. There was a charge for any food, and water was not available, unless it was purchase. (A large bottle of water cost four dollars on the ship but was seven dollars on land). One of the tram drivers told us that the NCL used to supply water but their policy changed a year or so ago. The ship was extremely overcrowded and sitting anywhere near the main pool area resulted in being constantly subjected to music that was louder than the roar of a rocket beginning it's mission to space. There were usually long, long, lines waiting to get on the ship or off the ship.That was bad enough but people constantly cut into the front of the line without being stopped. Mini-golf ran out of clubs and balls. One night, my grandkids were told to leave the court because it was time for the crew to play basketball. Long lines for the waterslides. Leaving the ship was it a "nightmare from hell" with little or no supervision or direction. While the initial cost of this cruise was lower than competitors, the Breakaway makes it up in their over the top "nickel & dime" policy. I strongly recommend paying a little more, going with another line and getting a lot more for your total investment.

The Very Worst!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by regtir

regtir’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BX
"cozy" but OK... our cabin attendant was almost nonexistent. ..... The toilet in my sons cabin was constantly clogged.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins