3. Norwegian Dawn
Honest review from a 40 year old guy who works in public service and says it like it is. The Dawn is a nice ship and looked perfectly fine in all areas. I did not notice anything that needed immediate attention or to be fixed. Staff was polite and helpful when we needed something or asked for something. Our cabin steward Michael was great. I kept calling him "Sir" and he would say - "it's just Michael". We had a inside cabin deck 4 (4597) which was in a great place actually as many of the ports have the exit on deck 4, 5 or 7. The room was a typical inside cabin. Only complaint was that the table under the TV really restricts that movement to that side of the bed when the two beds are pushed together. Ports of call were fine. We did the make stops at as many local pubs as possible while in Canada. We hit Garrisons in Halifax which is just outside the cruise terminal. We also did the Maritime museum which was interesting as well. It was raining and just piss poor weather to do anything else there so nothing we really could do about it. The stop at Garrisons was well worth it. While in Saint John we hit up some really good bars. The 2 that I recommend going to are Big Tide, Graham House. Just had good beer and the staff was great. We hit up a couple others but were not really impressed. It was raining here as well and nothing we could do about that. We did stop at the police museum which was small and nice but nothing amazing. The fire museum was closed which was disappointing....but I'm not a hydrant humper or a hose dragger so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. Bar Harbor we walked around town and put on about 5 miles that day according to our fit bit. We ended up eating at Geddys which was nice - had the hot lobster rolls (they have a gluten free bun so it was a win for the wife - but the bun was a little over grilled and black around the edge). Honestly not much else to do here and kinda of a waste of a stop for us personally. We were there preseason as most things were opening up that first week of June. Portland was the next stop and we walked to the Holy Donut to grab some of those power rings as I call them. They were okay - not sure what the hype is about as I've had just as good if not better and cheaper donuts from a gas station. The gluten free donuts were so oily that it really was too bad. Note - you can not take them back onto the ship - unless you hide them in the front pocket of your hoodie or in your jacket you are wearing. We did do the lobster boat trip with Lucky Catch.. this was well worth it and one of the highlights - they have a website so check them out. We did not make the port to Rhode Island because of high winds....it was very windy and we could not tender safely. We were given a credit of $8pp on our accounts for this missed stop/port. We did do the Sushi train on board as one of the highlights of our trip and spending a little money while on board. We spent $30 and left full. Only thing disappointing was that there was almost no sushi on the belt as it passed by. We had 6 plates off the bet and when we left there were only 3 still passing by. It's like they just didn't care that we were there eating and didn't want to keep it full of food for other guests. Entertainment was okay - we did not do any of the shows except for the comedian (Keith forgot his last name) and he was horrible. I'm sorry just making fun of your own family because they are black and 90% of the passengers are white just doesn't do it for me (I'm white by the way). The music bands were fine and we did listen to them. We ate breakfast most mornings in the Venetian and did eat in the Aqua once and a while too. The buffet was okay and nothing special. Gluten free food was good according to the wife and she had no issues. We did not spend any other money on board... in fact with the credit from the missed port we actually only spend $14 for sushi so that was a win for us. We do not have the beverage package and this is why: NCL IF YOU READ THIS TAKE NOTE: The cost for 1 drink of Woodford Reserve Whisky was $23 (I like this type of whiskey). They sell the bottle in the gift shop for $40. So if I purchase 2 drinks at a total cost of $46usd, I have already purchased more than an entire bottle of the stuff that I can drink at home and really enjoy. I'm sorry folks and (Andy - NCL President /CEO) this is just wrong - horribly wrong to charge a consumer this amount for a drink yet sell the bottle in your gift shop for less than 2 drinks. I understand the beer price and all that but this is why the beverage package is what it is and why I will not purchase it ever and I mean ever!

Honest True Review