3. Britannia
Myself, partner and parents in law went on this trip as it suited all of us with the timing and leaving the UK. I've cruised a lot almost entirely Cunard with a couple of CMV, this was our first P&O for all of us. We would go back on P&O if the right deal came up but wouldn't seek it out. Couldn't really work out where it was trying to fit in. Food / Dining We both had inside cabins, had booked on the saver and were allocated late dining although on different tables. The head waiter quickly put us together with no fuss at all. Waiters were very attentive in the dining room and also the lunch dining rooms. Food improved throughout the cruise I would say but we had a couple of disappointing meals. Tough steak (quickly replaced in fairness) and a fish that was very bland. The buffet was nicknamed the canteen by us. Hit and miss, some of the food was lovely, some was fodder. Uninspiring but not likely to starve! For us eating is an important part of a holiday and we like to savour not just eat for the sake of it so that was a little disappointing. We stopped using the canteen and opted for Costa and muffin breakfast and MDR for lunch and dinner. My partner and I went to the Epicurean one night and it was superb, we said if we went again we would budget to spend more nights in there. Cabins Cabins were great, functional, clean and spacious. Better than both Cunard and CMV I'd say. Cabin staff very helpful. Bars / Drinks We all went for the ultimate package. It worked for us and we enjoyed a variety of cocktails, drinks, whiskies etc. We went over 15 drinks and often didn't wait 15 minutes so I don't think they were sticking to that particularly. Service was quick (very quick most of the time) which was impressive. One oddity was that you couldn't have large wines or double spirits so you had to do a dance of ordering a single with mixer and waiting a minute or two then ordering a single on its own. Long winded really seeing as the total was under £7 anyhow. Entertainment All bars were great, the shows were great in the Headliners comedian superb and band etc great in live lounge. Live lounge was very very busy so we didn't go in there much which was a shame as it seemed really good. Public Areas / General A busy / full ship. We always managed to get a seat but it sometimes involved circling until one came free. Some of the people on board were pretty aggressive about the process! Not the ships fault and the staff worked very hard clearing and moving things round to do the best they could and serving drinks in random places to alleviate the main bar areas. Lifts were busy but never a problem for us, something which others had said were poor. Not something we really noticed. Itinerary We enjoyed Cherbourg, La Coruna was a bit disappointing not much to say and Bilbao was great, Guernsey didn't happen. A perfectly nice itinerary but not one I'd do again. When Guernsey was cancelled nothing changed on board so everywhere was really busy but we were happy to relax in a quiet corner. Summary Nice ship, staff tried hard at all times, clean, food mostly good some poor meals but to be fair they do 1600 meals a day apparently so I guess that will happen!

On balance a good trip, a bit medioce in places

Britannia Cruise Review by Poodlecrazy