Island Princess Cruise Review
1,190 Reviews

This was the cruise from Hell!

Island Princess Cruise Review by Michael Sunde

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We chose this cruise because it was going through the Panama Canal. But as you very well know, it sailed right after an abbreviated cruise because of a infecting virus. And yes 3 days into the cruise, my wife got sick. Something she rarely does. She was seen by the medical staff and was told she only had the Flu, yet was quarantined for 24 hours, forcing us to miss our excursion in Cartajena; the one she wanted to do most! (WE were refunded). Then after the 24 our period, a medical person came to check my wife's temperature and vitals. His batteries in his thermometer were bad and the unit wouldn't work. Because my wife is a Medical assistant, she had two thermometers with her. She checked herself with both and had readings of 97.7 and 97.2. The Medic said that wasn't acceptable because they were not calibrated to their scale. He said he was going for batteries but never returned. After 2 hours I went to the medical office to find him, only to learn that the staff had just gone on an additional 4 hour break. My wife was stuck in the cabin 7 hours in addition the original 24. And of course we ate room service with additional gratuities.

I prepaid for the passenger protection plan but was billed when we checked out at the end out our cruise. I was told that was procedure and that I needed to file wit the AON insurance group. Redundant procedure for sure.

Then when reviewing the medical findings it was stated Neg type A and B flu. Positive for a gastrol intestinal Virus. Well I guess that's why a cleaning crew came to our room at all hours, 6 times to disinfect.

The food was OK at best. But we didn't know that we needed to bring formal attire for the "Good Stuff" However we often had room service because we acclimated to that while my wife was confined. The service then was always very good.

We did not get involved with the fitness and recreation, nor did we use any public rooms.

Our excursions were more oriented to the vendors than the culture.

We have filed our insurance claim with AON. But feel we are entitled to some form of compensation for our medical issues (it was the Virus) and our missed excursion.

Michael Sunde's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BC A406

The cabin was musty when we first entered, only to be covered up by aerosol by the steward. The carpet had no been cleaned lately. Other than that, it wasn't as stately as we were led to believe.

Colon (Cristobal)

Very enjoyable but the riding through the jungle was a bit short, I thought.

Chairlift