3. Celebrity Equinox
My wife (52) and I (50) just got back from the Equinox January 5th / 12th. It had been almost 20 years since we last cruised on Celebrity and we knew that there would be many changes. As a couple we are rather laid back. We have done many cruises over the years, along with all-inclusives and a few land vacations. Please note this was our experience based on our past experiences. I won’t get into the ports (Eastern Caribbean) since they are covered extensively by others, and, unfortunately we are not picture takers. We had a basic balcony room (6130) that we were told by our room attendant that it had recently received some updates. He didn’t go into specifics but it seemed like new carpet, maybe also the couch and couch pillows. I told my wife that the couch pillows were made by the finest artesian goat herders, because they were so stiff they had to be stuffed with straw. Embarkation: Quick and efficient We found the ship easy to navigate and really liked its size. I booked us a pre-cruise room on South Beach, we got up early and grabbed a nice breakfast outside at a cute restaurant. Then we went back to the hotel, checked out and were at the port by 10:30. We were on the ship with our first drink shortly after. We were fortunate to snag the crows nest (a small bump out with four chairs) at the Sunset bar at the aft of the ship and met two great guys. Shout out to Mike and Adrian. Unfortunately we stayed to long and that means I started off my cruise with a bit of a sunburn. Room: As I said, we were told that we were one of the few who had some updates. The carpet was nice and soft and the bathroom is where I think the biggest change was made. A walk-in shower with curved glass doors. I could be way off on the upgrades since I have nothing to compare to. You could certainly tell the ship was ready for a refurb when you looked at the chairs on the balcony. As far as storage we had enough space, but I can certainly see where it could be a problem. We used it all. One strange/funny bit about the room was; you know that expensive bottle of water they always have in the room incase you get weak and are willing to pay an excursion price for it? It was located on the bottom shelf in the bathroom by the toilet, just a few inches away. Not real enticing, but we NEVER use them so it just brought a little bit of levity each day. Staff: No problems at all. Of course some were better than others. I can see why so many like the martini bar, but it does get loud. It was great to see all of the smiles from the staff and a little sincere appreciation given makes their day. Food: I need to start by saying we cook A LOT and I’m not talking heat and serve meals. This was probably the biggest area we felt was a minor disappointment. At several of the meals the meat was dry/tough. This included burgers from the Mast grill and in the Ocean View. I ate fish most nights in the MDR and it was very good. I also enjoyed the soups, but I found the gumbo a bit lacking in flavor and meat. By the way we did not partake in any of the specialty restaurants and always ate dinner in the MDR. My bride LOVED the cheesecake in the MDR. Odds and ends: I believe most had a beverage package, we had the Classic and it was fine. We did pay a bit extra here and there, but at the end of the day it was smart not to upgrade…for us. Make sure you ask for your specific alcohol so you get what you want. Fellow passengers, 90% were fantastic and a lot of fun. There is a small segment that seem to be FIP’s, “formally important people”. We were enjoying ourselves at the bar one evening and this woman raised her voice (she was not drunk) to get the bartenders attention even though she was no where near next and said “you need to listen to me NOW so you know how to make my drink.” Then she gave several steps on on how to make it and then turned to everyone and said, “I want it the way I want it, when I want it.” That last line is our new slogan. I just laughed and said, “what ever lady.” The elevators were good, even on disembarkation day. Lounge chairs, a little bit of effort and it was no problem. BUT, we also prefer to not be in the sun to much. Music, I wish there were more options during the evening and night times. Disembarkation: First breakfast at the Ocean View, there was a lot of food to choose from. The staff walking around offering beverages and croissants still had smiles on the faces. We did not feel rushed and we found a place to sit right away. After breakfast we found our luggage quickly and there was no wait to get through the TSA (I have no idea how many ships were in port). We got our Uber and headed out to our post cruise hotel. My guess is that we were off the ship by 9am, but again we were in no hurry since we couldn’t check in to our hotel until 3pm. Feelings: After so many years away from Celebrity I do enjoy the relaxed dress code and we still get dressed up a bit. You can definitely tell there have been some changes, but we feel for the price point it is still a winner. That would explain why we are looking for our next Celebrity cruise. On a scale of 1-10 based on our travel experiences, an eight.

Returned to Celebrity after two decades

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Mike981

Please note this was our experience based on our past experiences.

Embarkation:

Room:

Staff:

Food:

Odds and ends:

The elevators were good, even on disembarkation day.

Music, I wish there were more options during the evening and night times.

Disembarkation:

Feelings:

On a scale of 1-10 based on our travel experiences, an eight.
Mike981’s Full Rating Summary