3. Carnival Ecstasy
I was hesitant to book a Carnival cruise because of its budget friendly reputation but I was pleasantly surprised and feel it's an excellent value. Used Lighthouse Parking, no need to drop off your bags first then park, they will take care of everything for you. Pretty easy check in and embarking, lines went by fast. Rooms were ready by 1:30. Cabins - great tip to bring your own alarm clock and hairdryer. Very clean, nightly turn down service with hilarious towel art, including one made of a man in my bed, ice bucket always refilled. I would have liked foam pillows and high thread count sheets. No heat, only ac, it was a little cold at times. Very nice robes in the closet with amble room and a safe. Large suitcases can be pushed under the beds for storage. Bathroom was also quite large, always had hot water, large bath towels and pool towels provided. I would have liked a daily weather report in the room included with the daily events program. Food - Breakfast buffet has your standard items of hot and cold selections. Made to order omelets are by the pool, coffee pretty good, juice way too sweet you may want to mix with water. And the water on the ship is pretty tasty, no need to buy bottled water. I recommend having breakfast a few times in the formal dinning room , its so nice and delicious - eggs benedicts, Belgian waffles, made to order eggs and fresh fruit. Lunch - always ate at the buffet but again I enjoyed having breakfast so much in the formal dining room I wish I would have tried it at least once. Again food very good, pizzas and hand made sandwiches are excellent!! Highly recommend them. Burgers and nachos by the pool however no guacamole, my only compliant about lunch service. TONS of deserts, the best and most elaborate are reserved for the last day at sea, you must try all of them. Dinner - we chose anytime dining and there were six of us. Our first night we went at 7:00 pm and had to wait over thirty minutes. After that we went around 6:00 and never had to wait. You can request where you want to sit, three times we sat by the windows which was nice. Service was very good, but a little low at times. I can recommend the duck appetizer, onion soup, cesar salad (if you like anchovies), stuffed mushrooms, flat iron steak (they will offer this every night), prime rib and lamb chops were excellent, they will bring you additional items, just ask. I didn't care for any of the fish entrees, except the lobster and shrimp. The deserts were all very good as well. Carnival allows each passenger to bring on board one bottle of wine which you can bring to dinner; they state they charge a $10 corkage fee however I was never charged once, thank you Carnival, I really enjoyed brining my own bottle of wine to dinner. Another tip, bring plastic baggies or Tupperware to take sandwiches with you an excursions. Too tired to stay up for the midnight Mexican buffet, but I heard they had guacamole. Drinks - waiters can be a little pushy especially when they want you to order the drink of the day. Wine was about $5.50, beer $4. I had to tell a waiter to stop serving a stumbling drunk, that's about as wild as it got, except upon returning to port it was reported there was a suspicious death that occurred the first night. Carnival kept that WAY quite, FBI was on board investigating and was spotted eating breakfast in their FBI polos. Entertainment/pools - Went to the "County" and Bon Voyage shows, pretty good, some pitch problems as Simon would say. Only used the adult Serenity area hot tubs, very nice but can get crowded, vey nice lounge chairs. There is so much to do on this ship, you will never be bored. Public areas - Carnival could improve greatly in this area. Elevator areas are very dated with artwork damaged and in need of repair and/or replacement. Casino was small. Staff - exceptional! Very friendly, professional, courteous, all spoke English quite well. We had a problem with our bill and it was corrected without a problem.

Pleasantly Surprised