3. Oosterdam
We had an absolutely amazing cruise on Holland America Oosterdam on September 9th – the 12-night Mediterranean Tapestry We loved the service on the ship, the size of the ship and our fellow passengers. Everyone was so nice! The cruise director was front and center throughout the cruise and we felt there were many activities offered although this was a very port-heavy cruise and our priority was being in port and experiencing everything that Europe has to offer. I know many people on Cruise Critic choose to take their own shore excursions, but I do have to say that EXC Tours absolutely MADE our time in port AMAZING! EXC tours were absolutely wonderful. Our tour guides were experts in each port. All of them full of enthusiasm. We were taken to the best places to see highlights of each port and, for the tours that included meals – we loved each restaurant and the food and wine offered. We were extremely happy that we booked through EXC tours because we did not have to stress about making it back to the ship on time – we could relax, enjoy and focus learning as much as we could about each port offered. We also enjoyed the ports where we just walked around and explored and sat at a café and had cappuccino that turned into cocktails and a relaxing fun day. I do agree that the ship is a bit older, but thankfully, we were there to enjoy ourselves and let little things put a damper on a fabulous European tour. I’ve read many complaints that the ship is in horrible condition and was very worried before we went, but once the cruise was underway, I had an unforgettable time and it didn’t matter! I would ignore the naysayers and form your own opinion and just ENJOY yourselves. We were very happy that we booked a Veranda cabin – we loved going on the Veranda every morning and sail away. Definitely worth the extra money! We did not purchase a beverage package. We brought two bottles of wine on board, attended a shore excursion to a winery in Nice where we were able bring on another bottle of wine onboard without the corkage fee and attended the happy hours. At happy hour, we would order a bucket of corona for around $29 plus gratuity and the next bucket was $10 plus gratuity. We also had wine at lunch with many of our shore excursions. Our bar bill at the end of a 12-day cruise was only around $200. Definitely glad we did not purchase the $1200 signature beverage package. I will say that, because this was such a port heavy cruise, heavy drinking was not a priority but we still drank and enjoyed ourselves. Who wants to be hungover when you are touring Rome? We did enjoy many glasses of wine with lunch in Rome but did not start out the day hung over from the night before bc we were trying to get our money’s worth from our beverage package, if that makes sense. The crew was very hospitable and the captain ran a very efficient and safe ship. I also appreciated the use of hand sanitizer before each embarkation. We experienced no illnesses whatsoever on the ship. We loved being waiting on in the main dining room – a highlight for my husband. Just choosing each meal and taking our time over dessert with coffee. It was such an amazing experience! I LOVE the direction of Holland America – outstanding service, port emersions, amazing EXC tours, a place for foodies and music lovers! Already booked our next cruise! As my husband said, this wasn’t a vacation – this was a TRIP! Thank you, Holland America, for the best trip of our lives!!!!

Amazing Mediterranean Tapestry Cruise on the Oosterdam

Oosterdam Cruise Review by newtocruiseinblue

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Already booked our next cruise!

newtocruiseinblue’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VE 8030
Loved our cabin with absolutely the best views. Loved that the balcony only had a neighbor on one side and the other side the neighboring balcony is set back so it feels a bit more private. We said it was like watching National Georgraphic magazine from our balcony. The bed was amazing and my husband enjoyed the in-room movies and documentaries. We had plenty of space for our things and could have brought more.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Dubrovnik
    Walked the city walls. Dubrovnik is a hot spot right now for tourism so expect crowds.
    View All 1,115 Dubrovnik Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dubrovnik Cruise Port Review
  • Statue of David
    If you go and watch the Rick Steve's Europe episode of Florence - this was almost exactily what we did on our EXC tour "Florence: Statue of David and the Uffizi Museum" This tour hit all of the highlights of Florence and included lunch as a local restaurant with wine. The wine was chianti - which I'm not a fan of, but the food was good. It was a very busy day and a very unforgettable day. We saw it all!
    View All 33 Statue of David Reviews
  • Kotor
    Breathtaking port where you are surrounded by mountains.
    View All 650 Kotor Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kotor Cruise Port Review
  • Aix-en-Provence
    EXC Tour guide was very an expert on the port and very passionate about Marseille and Aix-en-Provence. This was an excursion that we took to get a taste of the region and we really loved it. Our tour guide made this tour great for all of us. The town is beautiful with a great history. It is a place to people watch and be seen. It is a university town and you will see many younge people in the area.
    View All 109 Aix-en-Provence Reviews
  • Nice & Eze
    We took the EXC Tour "Taste of the Riveria" which visited Eze first and then Nice, with a visit to the oldest wine academy in the south of france.

The coastline from Monte Carlo into France is BREATHTAKING! We loved climbing the trail to the top of Eze and seeing the view. This excursion should not be taken if you have mobility issues.

Our favorite part of the tour was the wine academy in Nice!! The wine "teacher" was so passionate and it was contagious. This was one the highlights of our trip!!! So glad we changed our excursion from "Nice and Eze" to "Taste of the Riviera" So worth it!

We bought a bottle to bring on board and, bascause this was a HAL tour, did not have to pay the corkage fee if consumed within our cabin and we did so on our veranda.
    View All 26 Nice & Eze Reviews
  • Capri Walking Tour
    We did the full EXC tour of Capri with a boat transer to Capri - a bus ride on the mama mia highway to the top of Anacapri, back down to Capritown for lunch at a beautiful restaurant overlooking the bay and had such an amazing lunch relaxing and drinking wine with new friends. Then had free time to explore and look at the amazing views and take pictures. The took the funicular back down to the dock area to go back to the ship. We loved it! We were going to do this on our own and
    View All 55 Capri Walking Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    We took the EXC tour "Best of Rome" which was a highlight of our cruise. Splurg and do it. Don't waste time looking for maps, waiting in lines or looking for transport! We went to the Trevi fountain in the morning and it was not that crowded, which we appreciated. We then went to the colloseum - which was a pinch me moment. Our tour guide was a history expert and a teacher - he was absolutely amazing!! Not just a tour guide reading from cards but someone who really knows everything there is to know about the subject matter!! We had lunch as an underground restaurant near the colloseum and this was a highlight of our trip - ammmmazing lasagna and wine. LOVED IT. The wine was flowing! We then went to the Vatican City and saw St. Peter's Basilica! We would like to go back and explore more of the vatican city. Not enough time for everything but we squeezed in everything that we could in one day!!
    View All 306 City Tour Reviews
  • Teatro Greco
    We took that EXC tour Castelmola and Taromina with Lunch and it was amazing! Views were incredible. Tour guide was fantastic! Lunch at a 5-star hotel overlooking the bay - the most beautiful views I've ever seen in my life. Unforgettable!
    View All 17 Teatro Greco Reviews
  • Venice
    We went on our own and got a museum city pass. You can realy wander and get lost. We splurged and did the gondola. We are glad that we did. It is $80 before 7 pm and then $100 after 7 pm - we did ours at 6:15 pm so we got the less expensive rate and it wasn't crowded. We agreed after our trip that we are glad that we did it because we probably would have regretted not doing it after we left. No regrets!
    View All 1,369 Venice Cruise Port Reviews