3. Nieuw Amsterdam
We chose this cruise because it was HAL and all at sea, no land. We had done the land and sea Alaska cruise a year ago with HAL. Didn't like it. Too much land. Embarkation and debarkation were fast and easy. Neptune suite cruisers get a little extra attention. Vancouver customs was GNARLY!. Only 2 agents for a couple of thousand cruisers. Computers were down. Should have gone out of Seattle and not Vancouver to avoid customs. Main dining room food was excellent. Our waiters, Agung and Edi were two of the best waiters we have ever had with HAL. Tamarind was my wife's choice and she managed somehow to drag me with her. Food was wonderful. Neat dining experience. I recommend it. Best excursion was Tracy Arm Fijord and Glaciers. Boarded a head boat directly off the Nieu Amsterdam. Lots of icebergs. We got close to Swayer and South Sawyer Glaciers. On the way back to Juneau a pod of Orcas swam next to the boat. Two swam under the boat. Glacier Bay was also wonderful Ship managed to get real close for about an hour. No big bergs blocking our way. Weather cooperated for most of the trip. Only one rainy day which happened to be a sea day.

Another Excellent HAL Cruise

jhigginsretired’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SA 7049
We prefer Neptune staterooms. Lots of room. Fresh flowers. Terry cloth bathrobes, slippers, binoculars, free bottle of wine, easier embarkation and debarkation. A semiprivate lounge with fresh orange juice, Danish, jet tube, two sinks, separate shower and two concierges, Carlos and Denisa. They were wonderful. We were given an 8 top main dining room table. We had requested a 2 top. Carlos got us the 2 top. I am a retired professional fine art photographer. Denisa made sure I got a great spot to photograph Margerie Glazier.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins